Desk Eagle as Award

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desk Eagle as Award

Hi here is my desk eagle only problem is because I dont knoe if on front remowed svastika or hidden. What do you think and what to do remowed and check or left as is ?
    Attached Files

another two photos.
    Attached Files

Comment

What does the plaque on the front of the marble column say; I can't make it out from your photos.

Br. James

Comment

looks like the swastika is on the backside maybe it was a mistake from factory or someone wanted to hide it no matter its still nice to me.

Comment

Hi. Thanks for answres. I think svastika was hiden after war only dont know if first remowed and than ower it glued with this simbol.Its different material of this simbol but its strong glued (or what) on it. I try to remowed but dotn go so I left as is. Words on it is Kreismeisterschaft 1940/41.

Comment

Thanks for providing the inscription -- Regional Championship 1940/41 -- though it doesn't tell us where or what sort of contest this piece was awarded for. I have a Desk Eagle very similar to yours in obverse and reverse detail, except for the absence of the swastika on your piece; the marble bases are also quite different. My eagle may also have been an award, though any sign of a dedication plaque has long since vanished or perhaps was never attached. On my piece the eagle is bronze with a fire gilt finish and measures 4 1/2" from the lowest point of the wreath to the top of the eagle's head, and 4 5/8" at the widest point of the wingspread.

At the reverse, my eagle has a foundry or inventory mark of "B 41" at the right-hand corner of the second step; yours does not show a mark there. Also, mine has a pebbled finish to the base of the inverted arch supporting the wreath and also to the face of the top step; your eagle is smooth in the same areas.

From the reverse, the wreath on my eagle clearly displays the bottom half of the swastika, as does yours, though from the obverse, mine also has the swastika in relief, where your wreath encloses a pyramid-shaped design. I have no idea what the design represents but find it hard to imagine, given that this particular eagle design was so famous and popular -- it is known as the Hoheitsadler von Nürnberg, the Great Eagle of Nuremberg, from the two huge eagles made for the Luitpold Arena by Kurt Schmidt-Ehmen -- that this design could have been used for anything except a swastika. From your photos it looks like the obverse of the wreath inset is a part of the mold and not applied after the piece was cast, and if so, then that would mean that it was originally made to be what it is...whatever it represents?! Again from your photos, I could not see any indication that the pyramid design was attached to the face of the wreath.

In any event, I hope these observations are helpful to you. Fröhliche Weihnachten,

Br. James

Comment

Thanks Br. James. On the face of Wreath is inside not original because from cooper material and than colored with "bronce" colour (brass colour). The same colour you can see on on parts of stairs under wreath. This some fact not to see goods from photos. Maybi one days I go to remove this new colour on down parts and removw this simbol on front to see. Until then will be in this condition near other items. Thanks once more and Vesel Božič in srečno novo leto.

Comment

Thanks for your response. I understand your wish to remove the 'offensive' pyramid logo from the wreath but I would suggest that you not do so, at least until you find out what that logo means. I for one have never seen it before.

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X