Mothers cross - ever seen this before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

Here's a first little and fast reply as im not at home at the moment.

I read about being "known" in a certain collecting area? Also about doing homework and exploring all kinds of period information? Well...im not claiming to know 100% everything, but besides many other collecting area's im a bit known for my motherscross collection and also have a few items which i consider one of a kind and definately unique in this area. As it is appearantly needed to show that one is serious (wasn't the WAF an open discussionforum?), i might also add then that in all humbleness im laying the last hands at my Mothers Cross book which i hope to finally publish in 2011 after many years of writing and researching. Hope this gives me the right to make a few comments here? Also ill try to add a few facts and figures...

There's many interesting things being said and shown here, but im not comfortable or convinced with everything that is being stated so hard.

Coming with facts i have a few myself and they don't add up to everything here. Not wanting to give away everything that i want to publish later, but keeping it factual we have the number of actual AWARDED crosses up untill the wars end and this was officially a little over 5 million!!!

Another fact is we have a HUGE list of dozens and dozens of makers (i can tell you i have a few surprises to show there as well).

The Mothers Cross is one of the most massively produced wartime medals (even more often than many massively produced Russian medals) and definately NOT a rare medal to find at all. Neither was it at any time after 1945.

Also i find the statement that it would be impossible to find an original "with proof of originality" a bit too fast typed... I have quite a few examples that came directly from families together WITH their accompanying documentation like citations, award ceremony invitation papers, wartimephoto's, etc. Not wanting to brag here, but maybe some collectors should have handled a few more themselves to know what to state here so hard? I am totally convinced of the crosses and variations i have gathered in my collecting years and that's quite a few...

In my humble opinion the fact that (many) medal makers continued making certain awards after the war is as Josef Fueß says sadly true. But...if we keep in mind a few other facts like the productionmethods of these crosses, their very high availability (over 5 million made during the war!) and the NEED for these medals which must have been low in the post war period, then i find it very hard to believe that they were en mass produced by the tens of thousands (or millions?) in the 50's, 60's, etc. Why would one make them in such quantities as the originals could at that time also easily be bought for that amount and were easily available?

A few more "facts" for those who don't know how the crosses were made: 160 by one person in one day was possible. Do you know how they were made? Pressing out the shape, enameling, heating in oven, finishing... i do think on a 8 hour workday a craftsman could make 200 or so if he wanted.

Another "fact" i very much disagree with is the "fact" that is being told here to explain the number of variations that could be found in many crosses. A true FACT is that we know of a very large number of makers during the war that produced them, we know of the time period they made crosses (about 6,5 years) and we know the total number of crosses that were made (i also have them divided over each year and most of the official awarding moments, also besides this there were also during the war a few unofficial awarding moments, which would elevate the number of over 5 million a bit more by some tens of thousands at least!). It is only a fact that most makers had many productions over a years long timeperiod and small differences did occur in the productionmethods.

Speaking of differences, im NOT comfortable with the different enamel patterns attributed to certain makers in the picture that is shown in this thread as there are by those same makers also different patterns known...

Speakign of more differences: the way the disc was attached to the cross is known to exist in many more forms. I know of at least ten different ones, varying of rectangular cut outs, triangular, round, startype, very little cut outs, stripes, etc etc All served the same purpose: to keep the disc at the right angle.

In conclusion: yes crosses were produced after the war, no doubt about that but MUCH more were officially produced and awarded than some people think!!! This was and is originally not such a scarce award as some people want others to think. Also i would estimate the number of post war crosses MUCH lower as can be read here.

Im not at a computer for the next few hours, but definately look forward to more factual information!

best regards,
    Gaston

ps: since im giving away a few things in this reply, here's a few more interesting things to think about: Just like many other awards i can easily imagine big overstocks of perhaps hundreds or even thousands that were found after the war and ended up in dealer hands. We know of the wartime produced crosses in cheap warmetal in 1945, but...we also know of POST WAR AWARDED crosses in 1945!!!Yes that is right! We also know that many crosses were planned to be awarded in May 1945 but never were awarded due to the wars end. A very confusing time and no doubt that in the many roaring months (year?) before 1945 some makers made a very large stock for future awardings that did now not occur in 1945! What happened to these crosses? Wouldn't this influence the number of needed post war produced crosses as well? How about the Deschler hoard that was found a few years ago? I know and have handled quite a few other "hoard" found awards over the years, Ek's, kvk's, etc... Besides that we know that as Josef Fueß states some makers cheerfully kept on producing post war, definately not everything is as bad as some people want others for whatever reason to believe... Keeping the ORIGINAL KNOWN number of awared crosses in mind im 100% positively sure that it easily exceeds the number of post war produced ones!

pps: What some people think or state is their opinion and good right to type down here, but... facts never lie! Before shouting please keep it to things that can be proven!

Comment

Originally posted by jabnus View Post

pps: What some people think or state is their opinion and good right to type down here, but... facts never lie! Before shouting please keep it to things that can be proven!
      Well then Mr Gason Vrollings, you just shot yourself in both Feet, please prove what you just typed! I will say it once more, i will never post anything i can not back up with proof. And when i say Proof, i mean black and white period proof, i don't mean opinions or "why would he or she do this or that"
      The numbers i quoted are proved from the Fakers Mouths... not my opinion.
      Please dont turn this thread into an arguing post and get people warned and suspended, if you want to join the table here, please come with FACTS ! You are welcome to share you r collected Facts with us here, But please no hearsay, or opinions... if this thread is going to get technical, i am willing to go along and continue, but if it is going to turn into a clash of Personalities, between internet people/dealers who do not like each other, then i am out, plain and simple, stick to the WAF rules and i am IN !

Comment

Originally posted by jabnus View Post

best regards,
        Gaston

ps: since im giving away a few things in this reply, here's a few more interesting things to think about: Just like many other awards i can easily imagine big overstocks of perhaps hundreds or even thousands that were found after the war and ended up in dealer hands. We know of the wartime produced crosses in cheap warmetal in 1945, but...we also know of POST WAR AWARDED crosses in 1945!!!Yes that is right! We also know that many crosses were planned to be awarded in May 1945 but never were awarded due to the wars end. A very confusing time and no doubt that in the many roaring months (year?) before 1945 some makers made a very large stock for future awardings that did now not occur in 1945! What happened to these crosses? Wouldn't this influence the number of needed post war produced crosses as well? How about the Deschler hoard that was found a few years ago? I know and have handled quite a few other "hoard" found awards over the years, Ek's, kvk's, etc... Besides that we know that as Josef Fueß states some makers cheerfully kept on producing post war, definately not everything is as bad as some people want others for whatever reason to believe... Keeping the ORIGINAL KNOWN number of awared crosses in mind im 100% positively sure that it easily exceeds the number of post war produced ones!

Gastron,
        Did the RZM and LDO place orders with certain makers and certain Dealers to such an extent that they would have had the financial capacity to produce 100,000 items to have on Stock ? Sorry to sound insulting, but did you actually read what you wrote? and you believe it as a viable means of argument ?

If you actually do
        ??? then you need to upload PROOF right now ! bear in mind this is a question that i have been asking myself for many decades now, so seeing as you seem to have the answer, i will NOW, be hounding you with this for eternity until you give me an answer.....
        Gastron, i am serious, i will not let this rest, this is a question i myself need answers too, and you have just claimed to have them !! so you either need to upload PROOF right now (when you find time) or be prepared to be strung back to this post forever.. i am serious Gastron... i will hold you to this gibberish until you prove it !

In this case, i call you, Gaston Vrollings to show us ONE single factual document (from any maker during the 3rd Reich) that states that he/she has a reserve of a few hundred/or as you say Thousand...to meet required orders....

You cant, because it is all just opinion, and that is not good for argument, especially when you are stating yourself that only facts count?
        Gastron, you are a good guy, truth is, i dont agree with 99,9% of what you write, (on all forums ...books included) but you are still a good guy If you have some period Facts to bring to this thread, then please do.... of course, when time allows, we will wait, or better said, i will.

Comment

well, i think im out then, clearly im not qualified to make any replys that can live up to the standard needed here to join the table .

My reply was not meant as an insult on anyone personally, please don't take it like that then.

It is now clear to me that all crosses are fake and postwar, if someone has oraly stated that they made 1 million post war medals then that obviously easily exceeds the 5 million written down official ones and makes those all bad. Further proof is not needed. Also are from now on period sales catalogs showing crosses and variations all false, period archival research is wrong. Period items from familys are all wrong. No one ever get a mothers cross, all are bad.

I won't reply anymore in this absurd topic, for anyone who want's another opinion on a Mothers Cross, please visit me at the Stirnpanzer militariaforum.

best regards,
          Gaston Vrolings

Ps: For someone who is as factual and accurate as yourself, i find it surprising to see that it is so hard to write my name correctly?

pps: Seems like you're on a roll and made already another reply. You try to outsmart everyone with words and long replys, but in that pps i only tried to reason one other thing as an answer to the many other things mentioned AND also already gave you an anser for a large found stock of crosses that showed up only a few years ago: the Deschler hoard.

Comment

You guys passed way over my head a long time ago....

But Josef Fueß, why is it that collectors always has to prove items are period and real, why dont sceptics try to prove them otherwise?

We seen this all too many times; someone post an item for verification or starts a discussion on a not too well known topic, and gets a thumbs down from an "expert" - end of story, item doomed for life!

I dont know you and I dont know any people from Jelloya neither, wich is way down south, but I'm actually just trying to learn something here - not start an argument!

Comment

In some or, most cases ....Silent are GOLD

Comment

I love my "Fake"-Mothercrosses. They are beautiful.

And everybody knows that it is a fact, that nearly all partybadges are fakes. They are tons of millions of them produced latewar. So i never touch one of them. Just read the right fakebooks.

Comment

@ Josef Fueß,

could you please show some written and black on white proof of what you are claming? You come with some bolt statements wich are so controversial that some proof is necessary. You say you don't write anyrthing without prove so come on bring it up!

Comment

Yes, by all means!

I would really like to see some proof for your statements, Josef Fueß.

Gaston Vrolings knows what his talking about when it comes to Mother crosses, you claim you do the same?

So far you haven't shown anything usefull.........

Please give us some back up for your stories?

Comment

I find it quite funny that someone that never had a MC is proclaiming to be such an expert. In my eyes it's BS. MC was made in millions, and yes, there are quite a few different fakes out there, but they are easily spotted, if one ever had an ORIGINAL in the hand.

According to this site: http://www.dasmutterkreuz.com/dasmut...formation.html 3 million crosses was awarded and handed out BEFORE World War Two.

Comment

Actually over 5,5 million mother crosses were awarded all together on 21. May and 1. October 1939.

Estimates say that around 10 million crosses were made in total.

And like Jokka says, the fakes are very easy to spot....

Comment

Originally posted by Josef Fueß View Post
                          I have never ever either possessed one, or sold on one my life
                          So really you are no position to even question anybodies cross or production methods.

my neighbour, who is a german, offered me his mothers and i still said no... i will not toutch this multi faked stuff
                          More fool you then

so you can be sure most Mothers cross`on the market and in collections today are post war.
                          Total rubbish IMO.....Oh my god....that means that all the photographs of women wearing their crosses are also post war!!!

Hey everyone I read a book on brain surgery last week, I am now an expert in the field of neurosurgery and my rates are very cheap. Full money back guarantee if the operation fails (must be made in person with 48 hours)

I tell you what, it is not even Friday but I can smell something very fishy.

Comment

I have loads of post war EKs and MCs for sale now guys! Come and get 'em

Nice story Josef thanks for sharing

Nick

Comment

This is his MO guys. I had to deal with him at WWM forum until I had basically enough and actually lost interest for awhile. You should check out some of his posts over there. Hopefully he is just passing thru. Have a good weekend. Robert

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Robert, and a good weekend to you too!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X