NSDAP flag, how to identify ect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NSDAP flag, how to identify ect

I am truly sorry if I am about to post something that has been covered before.

I appears as though a local seller has some direct links to European sellers, and he has some truly awesome pieces of history.

I am posting in this specific subforum because one item of interest (although I'd have a hard time explaining it) is a large NSDAP flag.

How would I even attempt to asses value, or authenticity for such an item.

I did not unfold it, but the tag clearly stated "authentic battle damage".

Can anyone offer any information, or links, or suggestions?

Thank you for humoring this post.

No offense intended, but this is akin to asking,"how much is my car worth? It has only minor damage."
    What kind of NSDAP flag/banner/standard, what sort of damage, what size, how is it constructed, what sort of materials were used, etc. etc.
    For a meaningful response, you would need to provide a lot more information and some good quality photographs.
    Erich
    Festina lente!

Comment

Erich is absolutely right, of course -- an "NSDAP flag" in damaged condition could be worth as little as a few dollars, depending on damage, to many thousands if it is rare enough.

And don't worry about having to explain your interest to anyone. If you are a serious historian and collector, then that's what is important. We are all aware that a great amount of the general public would consider our hobby to be outrageous and irrelevant, and that's their privilege. For myself, I cannot imagine why anyone would want to collect railroad timetables or sewing thimbles or...whatever, but I have known people who value those objects dearly and some much more esoteric than those mentioned, and I would defend their right to their hobby. Nuf ced!

Br. James

Comment

hey guys, don't get me wrong I sincerely appreciate the replies, but I didn't ask what it is worth, such a question would be absurd since there were no pictures or what not,

What I asked was how I would be able to assess worth;
        As in what should I look for to distinguish legit versus post war flags, what makes one versus another to have worth;
        I'm pretty sure this has no divisional markings, but since I have not unfolded it I could be wrong...
        IIRC it was roughly 6 ft long.

If I can get sufficient info, I'll go back, unfold it, and take some pictures;
        but right now, I'm pretty sure his asking price is high - and because of this, I left it alone.

If I need to buy some books, I will, this same vendor has some buckles that I'd like, and although I didn't read a "how to identify a fake" thread elsewhere here, I also didn't find a thread suggesting what to look for, or how you distinguish real from fake items...
        Ditto with flags - I saw many interesting flag threads, but no "how to" identify flags thread (ect)...

Some stuff (like dinner ware) is not going to be faked, but I'd think that pretty much anything Wehrmacht, or NSDAP related to uniforms, medallions, or patches, I understand to be heavily faked...

Actually I'd love to either find a convention to see real stuff (to talk to people about collecting), or go to probably eastern Europe, where undoubtedly artifacts are still rather common... and not illegal (unlike I've understood they are in DE).
        Right now all I have are some (handed down) photos, a couple pieces of cutlery (again handed down), and an IK-2k(the sole purchased item).

Again, I appreciate any responces I can get!

Comment

about flag authentication ???

Originally posted by unruhjonny View Post
          ...what should I look for to distinguish legit versus post war flags
          ...I saw many interesting flag threads, but no "how to" identify
          ...I'd love to either find a convention to see real stuff
          ...Again, I appreciate any responces I can get!
          Hello:
          Check out the "wmtf" pinned thread on the WAF
          flag forum. In general, flag authentication comes
          down to size, material, and design details. Price
          follows based on condition and rarity of the flag.
          sigpic
          .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

thank you for pointing me to that thread;
            I'll read it right away.

Comment

Ok, bringing this one back.

I read that whole thread.

I finally made it back to the antique shop yesterday (they rent vendors space; one vendor has a good amount of WWII German items).

So this flag is 5' x 10' (152cm x 305cm).

The flag has a good amount of damage.

The flag appears to have the correct rope, and clip fastener, but the length of rope off the bottom was at some point cut off.

I saw absolutely no markings on this flag in any way shape or form.

Now I'm pretty sure this guy is on drugs, because he's asking $425(cnd) for this flag, and I don't think it's worth 1/4 of that - but I originally started this thread because I wanted to confirm if this guy is just being greedy, or if I was wrong in my gut reaction to the pricing of pretty much every item he has.

This is a "Third Reich" German flag, nothing war specific (per-say)...

Can anyone tell me what a flag of this nature in great or otherwise condition might normally fetch?

I apologize if this question in vexing, or remedial to any of you, but to date my collection of WWII German items is minuscule to say the least - I know that ALOT is faked, and have either not bought much in fear of it being fake, or feeling the asking price was bordering on the absurd.

I am casually planning on a trip to Germany, and although I am a bit unclear on the laws pertaining to items from 1933-1945, I would love to come back with some stuff...

Comment

about flag prices ???

Originally posted by unruhjonny View Post
                ...flag is 5' x 10' (152cm x 305cm).
                ...has a good amount of damage.
                ...no markings on this flag in any way
                ...$425(cnd) for this flag, ...what
                ...otherwise might [it] normally fetch?
                Hello again:
                Assuming the flag is red with a center white circle
                and black swastika, I have seen several such flags
                in good condition (no holes or rips) sell on the WAF
                e-stand for $150 to $250 USD. Such flags are listed
                elsewhere online for more, but I doubt that they often
                sell for that as they are not rare IMO. Have any photos?

sigpic
                .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

Originally posted by oldflagswanted View Post
                  [B]Hello again:
                  Assuming the flag is red with a center white circle
                  and black swastika, I have seen several such flags
                  in good condition (no holes or rips) sell on the WAF
                  e-stand for $150 to $250 USD. Such flags are listed
                  elsewhere online for more, but I doubt that they often
                  sell for that as they are not rare IMO. Have any photos?
                  Yup, just the standard red background, white circle with swastika - I believe that it replaced both the (then obsolete, but still being used) pre-1919 imperial black/white/red German flag, as well as the 1919-1933 Weimar republic black/red/gold flag.

I did not take any photos because it wasn't very nice looking, and the vendors area was a little small to totally unfold it (plus if I went into the aisle to unfold it, I'm sure I'd have to contend with dirty looks from people in the antique shop for unfolding a 5'x10' NSDAP flag )

Thank you very much for your response.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X