Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SA Kepi

Hi,

I got this in today. I guess this would represent an early issue. I am curious about the eagle though. This doesn't seem right. Facing left?

What do you guys think?

Best,
    Os.
    Attached Files

Inside
    Attached Files

Comment

Kepi

Better closeup pics of the kepi, inside and out would help, but at a distance, it looks like it may be good. The eagle is not SA, but don't be hasty to remove it, as sometimes they wore non-standard insignia. Look CLOSELY to see if there are other holes where another eagle may have been. I don't recognize the eagle on there. I would assume this kepi is early, and, thus, missing the colored wool band. Check for other holes and let us know. MORE PICS!!

Comment

Thanks for the answer!
        Here are some more pics.

I knew that this eagle wasn't standard and just figured it could have been a police eagle. There are holes which indicate that a different eagle was in place.

Thanks,
        Os.
        Attached Files

Comment

more
          Attached Files

Comment

more pics
            Attached Files

Comment

Looks like a good, early kepi but I agree that the eagle has been changed. The holes indicate that the kepi initially had the small, early pattern eagle with vertical prong arrangement. The eagle on the kepi now is a government type worn by the Postamt personnel, etc. The correct type of larger of eagle would only have been worn with this kepi if it had had a color band attached--if you see any sign of thread or sewing along the top edge just under the piping bead, that would most likely indicate the color band had been removed. In this form with no color band, only the smaller eagle would be correct.
              Erich
              Festina lente!

Comment

I agree with Erich. An original SA Kepi in good condition considering it's violent life and age -- circa 1931-32. I also agree that the replacement eagle is from the German Postal Service uniform cap. Such articles were often interchanged and this eagle replacement may have originated within the period. I would not suggest trying to replace it again with a M-1927 eagle; that may leave visible holes in the front of the cap that would be more detracting than an improvement. Besides, you now have a cap with a history of sorts: this cap may well have been owned by a Postal Service employee who also belonged to the SA!

Br. James

Comment

Hey guys,

Thanks for your opinion! I was sure that the Kepi itself was original, I just didn't know what eagle this could be. Postal service sounds feasible too, I thought it might be a cut up police eagle.

However, thanks for y'alls opinions!

Os.

Comment

Kepi

Very good points that were made all the way around. Going from a larger eagle to a smaller one is often problematic. Since I am generally a purist in regard to regulations, if the kepi were mine, I would probably change the eagle to the proper one. But I would certainly first investigate thoroughly whether the smaller eagle would cover the holes. IMHO, of course the eagle could have been placed there by the original wearer, but I think the odds far more favor the theory that it is a post-war modification, since there are previous holes. You personally have to make the decision whether you prefer the incorrect insignia, or holes that show. I admit, sometimes things like this are a tough call.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X