Wall eagle / Parteiadler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wall eagle / Parteiadler

Just thought I'd show this wall eagle, since you don't see these every day.

Made of cast bronze, 11.5" wingspan. The back has a copper strip soldered in place, with some picture frame wire for hanging. Not maker marked. There is some hand-finishing on the tops of the wings and the swaz. Note the differences in the lengths of the arms of the cross. An early piece, in my opinion. I've only seen one other like it- on a dealer's website (archive section). He said his was acquired from the family of the mayor of Boenningstedt, where it hung over the office door.

Regards,
    Kent

Sweet!

Comment

Interesting, nice piece. Appears early to me as well.

Thanks for posting it!

Rob.

Comment

Thanks for the compliments. I actually got this on eBay several years ago- from a woman in Los Angeles that said she got it at a county auction for liquidating the assets of people that don't have any next of kin. She said there was a huge collection of German items, most beyond her bidding ability. The auctioneer got some flak from the Wiesenthal Center for selling a "Dachau body marker", and it made the national news.
        If I was only able to keep one piece in my collection, the eagle would be the one.

Regards,
        Kent

Comment

Fantastic Eagle.

Johnny R.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X