NSDAP 1932 campaign sign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NSDAP 1932 campaign sign

This is a vet bring back - in fact he brought back two of these and an NSDAP porcelain sign that says "do not enter" in German (of course). I found a dealer with one of these and one in the online exhibits of the Deutsches Historisches Museum (DHM, German Historical Museum in Berlin. These are heavy signs and they have all the characteristics of the other NSDAP signs I've found here and elsewhere. The dealer site says this sign was for the 1932 campaign, but the DHM gives a time period of 1932-34.

Last edited by Oceansider; 09-22-2010, 08:11 PM.

The Colbert-Hyder book states these are from the 1932 election. He sure wasn't running for President in 1933 or 34, because he was already Chancellor.
    https://www.nsdapuniforms.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Clark View Post
      The Colbert-Hyder book states these are from the 1932 election. He sure wasn't running for President in 1933 or 34, because he was already Chancellor.
      Thanks. It was your website where I saw that and then I went to the German Historical Museum site which showed one of these with the heading:

Propaganda sign of the NSDAP
      Germany 1932/34

But in the description, the say (courtesy of a computer translation) "before the presidential election in 1932."

So who knows why they threw in the 34?

By the way, i make my living designing and running an ecommerce website for a client (he makes Native American flutes) and I have to say that yours looks very good with a nice layout and easy, fast navigation.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Here's the Do Not Enter sign that came with the two campaign signs.

Comment

My photo host server decided to change things, messing up the links to hundreds of my photos, so here these are again:

Comment

Comment

Were these signs counterfeited in the UK at some point?

Comment

Hi,

A few facts to concern: I can't find this maker in the reference book about these signs and it's a wierd combination of the short living -eagle -looking- to -the-right together with blockletters plus a firm name written into the central field.

Regards, Wim
                  Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Originally posted by Oceansider View Post
                    Were these signs counterfeited in the UK at some point?
                    Yes, in the 80s if memory serves. IMO I would question what use an enameled election poster would have, since as soon as the election was over, the poster would be useless. That's why most posters were made on cheap paper and so few have survived--they were pasted up and soon after torn down.
                    Furthermore, the national emblem was a 'controlled' emblem that would be used on signs with an official designation below or next to the symbol--not an exit or entrance sign.
                    I think these are fantasy pieces.
                    Erich
                    Festina lente!

Comment

Thanks for the input here. This seems to be one those areas open to more research.

The NSDAP emblem enamel signs I've found online do all seem to have writing suitable for use on an NSDAP building.

But what makes me really wonder is that the 1932 campaign sign has only a couple of references online and one of them is for one of these in the Deutsches Historisches Museum collection.

The computerized translation of that is:

Our realm president. The German front soldier Adolf Hitler
                      Propaganda sign of the NSDAP
                      Germany 1932/34
                      Iron, enamels
                      51 x 34.4 cm
                      © DHM, Berlin
                      AK 94/555

I would expect that if something like this was faked or reproduced that there'd be more than just two or three references to them online, but again I recognize there's no definitive word on this.

thanks again

Comment

The Colbert-Hyder book was researched in 1980 and printed in 1981, these were listed in that book. So I would think if they are reproductions, they would have had to been done in the 70's.
                        They have always been debated over the years back and forth.
                        I did obtain mine from a friend who bought it from a Vet direct. The guy had it in an old foot locker at the very bottom of some other stuff. My friend was not even looking to buy that item, but was there for other things. He just bought it thinking it was cool and unquestionably of the period.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Clark View Post
                          The Colbert-Hyder book was researched in 1980 and printed in 1981, these were listed in that book. So I would think if they are reproductions, they would have had to been done in the 70's.
                          They have always been debated over the years back and forth.
                          I did obtain mine from a friend who bought it from a Vet direct. The guy had it in an old foot locker at the very bottom of some other stuff. My friend was not even looking to buy that item, but was there for other things. He just bought it thinking it was cool and unquestionably of the period.

These too were vet bring-backs.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X