Assistance needed with unfamiliar badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assistance needed with unfamiliar badge

I have come across this badge which is unfamiliar to me but probably not to many others. I would be grateful if it could be identified and opinions as to whether it is genuine or not, and an idea of its value.
    Thanks,
    Peter.
    Attached Files

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=de

Gerdan

Comment

http://www.listityourselfauctions.co...l.asp?id=17788

Gerdan

Comment

Thanks Gerdan,
        I can see that one in mint condition goes for about $110 to $180, this one has a nick in the enamel, so is probably worth less.
        German is not one of my languages, so I' m still not sure what it is.
        Thanks,
        Peter.

Comment

This one is for a international air race in 1940

Comment

Thanks Paddy, any idea what race?
            Peter.

Comment

Peter

I will try to explain it to you:

the "Wasserkuppe" is the highest montain in the "Rhön" a mountain area in Germany (Hesse).
              There the beginning of the glider sport.

The NSFK - "NationalSozialistische Flieger Korps" started an international glider race from this mountain.

The 3rd International Glider Race" (Luftrennen) was given there 1940.

Gerdan

Comment

Thanks Gerdan,
                I did know that they encouraged gliding as an introduction to flying when they were hampered by the Treaty of Versailles in developing their Air Force. I did not know that they continued with these gliding competitions after the war started.
                Would these badges be given to the pilots or to anyone who attended this event?
                Thanks,
                Peter.

Comment

Hello,
                  I could be wrong but I always thought that there was some debate over whether these badges were original to the era or not. I think there are some threads regarding this badge and a few others on the forum also. I have one of these badges also so would like to find out what the consensus on them are also.
                  Duzig(Bill)

Comment

Originally posted by Duzig View Post
                    Hello,
                    I could be wrong but I always thought that there was some debate over whether these badges were original to the era or not. I think there are some threads regarding this badge and a few others on the forum also. I have one of these badges also so would like to find out what the consensus on them are also.
                    Duzig(Bill)
                    I know I posted some NSKK badges a while back including this one but it really is inconclusive as to whether these are "real". I think they are really nice badges and hope they are good!

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=393448

Comment

Thanks Bill and Curt. I have seen some "Fantasy badges" and the enamel on them is fairly rough, nothing like the finish on this badge. The only thing that puzzles me is that it was for an international gliding event in 1940. It seems unlikely to me that they would hold such an event during the war.
                      Thanks,
                      Peter.

Comment

Thanks Bill and Curt. I have seen some "Fantasy badges" and the enamel on them is fairly rough, nothing like the finish on this badge. The only thing that puzzles me is that it was for an international gliding event in 1940. It seems unlikely to me that they would hold such an event during the war.
                        Thanks,
                        Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by peterwyndavies View Post
                          Thanks,
                          Peter.
                          I argued the same about the quality of the badge. The quality is much better than fantasy badges tend to be. On the other hand I have not found any information on an event held in 1940. However, I will also add that sometimes an event was planned and postcards were produced for that event - Party Rally 1939. One could also argue that 1940 was still a relatively peacefull time in Germany itself and it may have been thought that events like this may still possibly be held and therefore a badge may have been produced in hopes that it would go ahead.

Comment

Thanks Curt,
                            You have a point about the relative Lack of fighting in 1940, but strange that no record of such an event exhists, unless of course it did not go ahead as you commented.
                            The link you sent me was very interesting, thanks for that.
                            The badge went for £92, which considering it was damaged, and a perfect one was on the net for $110, was I think rather expensive and I didn't get it.
                            Thanks,
                            Peter.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X