Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A pair of AH Spoons... real?? or salty?

Hi Guys,

Im being offered these for sale and would like some opinions.

I did some research and understand (If original) they are the "informal" style vice the formal with the GREEK KEY on the side.

At first I almost made a snap decision that they were bad since they had NO detail on the eagle.

I have found a few on the web for sale and even read what Tom Wittman has on his site concern the lack of detail for the informal sets.

Here is what he has.

ADOLF HITLER SILVERWARE

On occasion I am fortunate enough to offer some of the silver, flatware and serving pieces specifically made for the residences of Adolf Hitler. The "AH" silverware mostly seen by collectors today was made by the Bruckmann firm of Heilbronn. (There are other patterns produced by other companies, but they are much rarer and do not seem as collectible.) The Bruckmann flatware was produced in two pattern types. The most prevalent (and most desirable because of its detail), is the so-called "Formal" pattern. This pattern displays a detailed, raised-out, closed-winged Party eagle with swastika, and has the Führer's monogram, "A" and "H" positioned respectively on each side of the wreath. Additionally the handle is bordered with an attractive design known as "Greek Key". The so-called "Informal" pattern contains the eagle and monogram only, and the stylized eagle design is depicted with little detail. (These pieces inaccurately almost convey a look of substantial wear on the surfaces of the bird). This pattern, however, seems to be much rarer. It is not known why the "Informal" pattern was produced, but it is thought to have been possibly used as a "Luncheon" pattern, and only at one of the larger residences - perhaps at the Reich Chancellery. It is generally believed there were approximately 3000 pieces of the "Formal" pattern produced, and about 1000 pieces of the "Informal". Obviously serving pieces such as an asparagus fork or sugar tongs would have been produced in far less quantity than standard forks, knives and spoons. Either pattern is hallmarked in the identical manner, and the marks appear stamped in line, being a crescent, a crown, "800" and a Prussian eagle. Serving trays and larger serving utensils are not usually silver per se, but are normally silvered plate. These pieces generally were produced by the Wellner firm, and are stamped with a "W", and usually a silver plating content number. In recent years "AH" silver items have really come into their own. Prices continue to rise, and in my opinion, are a tremendous investment. They are a great collectible in that examples are still obtainable, but since quantities are limited, demand continues to drive the prices upward. Own something produced for the use of the Führer himself... What could have more appeal to 3rd Reich collectors!

Love to get some comments since "proven" original ones are up around 1000 or more..

Thanks J
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I am no expert in AH silverware by any means, but I possess some of the formal pattern pieces (spoons), and I have seen the ones you have shown here before. IMO, it looks like a good example of an informal pattern, but take that with the grain of salt until some of the experts here chime in.

Comment

Looks okay to me,but as for value I would suggest more like $400 a piece rather than $1000.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Fish View Post
            Looks okay to me,but as for value I would suggest more like $400 a piece rather than $1000.
            The formal pattern is more popular with collectors and is sold for higher prices.

Comment

Yes Erich, strange considering this 'informal' stuff is so scarce.Before I was heavily in to Blood orders I accumulated about 40 pieces of the AH formal flatware and in that time only came across 2 pieces of 'informal'. Its all to do with appearance I guess,but certainly the price is not linked to the scarcety.

Comment

Originally posted by ErichS View Post
                The formal pattern is more popular with collectors and is sold for higher prices.
                Looks fine to me.

But as already stated, these are not as valuable as the formal pattern which is also better looking.

I even think someone out there charges 3500$ for a formal AH knife, don't remember who but it has to be Overpriced

Comment

Originally posted by Jon-Olav Holden View Post
                  Looks fine to me.

But as already stated, these are not as valuable as the formal pattern which is also better looking.

I even think someone out there charges 3500$ for a formal AH knife, don't remember who but it has to be Overpriced
                  Ulric of England has the knife for 3500.00. Most formal pattern pieces are going in the 1K range for the normal flatware pieces.

Comment

Thanks Guys..

Very good news... There are still good deals out there if you want to spend the time and money beating the bushes.

You never know what will come out of the woodwork for a very reasonable price.

Comment

Hi,
                      I have this formal piece by Bruckman any ideas as to it's value,
                      Thanks Merdock
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by merdock View Post
                        Hi,
                        I have this formal piece by Bruckman any ideas as to it's value,
                        Thanks Merdock
                        My guess would be 3K-4K.

Comment

Not a piece I have seen before with the formal markings.There was some debate over some formal pieces such as serving trays a couple weeks ago on another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Fish View Post
                            Not a piece I have seen before with the formal markings.There was some debate over some formal pieces such as serving trays a couple weeks ago on another thread.
                            I do like the detail on this one though.

Comment

Hi,
                              Unlike the trays that are seen which imo are fake the eagle on this is not stamped but a highly detailed one ,when i first obtained it along with other pieces i took it along to a highly skilled silversmith how was amazed at the detail and quality of it and his opinion was that it was old as to the manufacturing technique and that it was of the period.
                              Merdock
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X