Need Help on SA? Mantal Coat with RZM Buttons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help on SA? Mantal Coat with RZM Buttons

Hi, I would like to get some opinions on this greatcoat (mantel coat?). It's made of heavy olive green wool with a dark chocolate brown collar. (It was hard to get the color right in my photos.). I want to know if this is an SA coat or perhaps an NSKK? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    It has a single brown braid shoulder board with golden yellow piping. I can see evidence that the collar tabs have been removed. Also, there are tiny black threads tacked in two spots (on inside and outside) of left sleeve, so I was wondering if that might be evidence that there once was an armband on that sleeve?
    The silver pebbled buttons are marked on back with the Assmann "A" logo and say Extra Fein RZM M5/8. Some are silver on back and others are more of a grayish color, but they all are marked the same way. I can't find an RZM tag in the coat, however.
    Inside bottom of coat has 3 white stamps:
    N.S.D.A.P. SA Manteltuch, a mark that says "EULAN" and another mark (I think this is the maker's mark). It has an eagle and is hard to read, but looks something like "MeSan" or "MeSon"? (see photos).
    The liner is a satin-type material. Overall the coat is in very nice condition.

Any information you can give will be very much appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Attached Files

Buttons & maker mark

Here are some close-ups of the button backs. Also a close-up of the manufacturer mark inside coat.
    Attached Files

Comment

Close-up of collar and detail of shoulder board
      Attached Files

Comment

Inside of coat and a shot of the back
        Attached Files

Comment

Black threads tacked on left sleeve. Could this indicate there once was an armband there?
          Also, a detail shot of buttons on back of coat at kick pleat.
          Attached Files

Comment

Detail of outer pocket and inner breast pocket.
            Attached Files

Comment

Stitching on underside of collar and a shot of the sleeve cuff. Let me know if there are any other details you'd like to see.
              Attached Files

Comment

This is a wartime SA coat,yes the threads indicate an armband.There should be 2 shoulderboards on an SA coat of this era not one{by the way the yellow is for signals},so you are missing the tabs a shoulderboard and an armband.The one yellow board isnt super common,but can be found.The thing is do you want to restore it?That depends on 2 things,if you want a restored coat,which is fine if done correctly,and 2 is it worth it?How much is the coat?It better not be too much or Id say pass.or is it yours?

Comment

Actually, this is an NSKK Mantel, most likely made in the 1936038 period-the collar of the NSKK coats were dark brown; SA collars were the blended brown color of the tunic. The board is an SA board which does not belong on the coat. The stampings indicate the maker's logo, the Eulan moth protection, and the RZM bolt stamp indicating that it was official SA Overcoat Material. Very clean example. There should be an RZM label in the inside pocket but if it is not there, it's no big concern.
                  Erich
                  Festina lente!

Comment

Hi
                    I agree with Erich, it's a nskk coat.
                    You can find the white stamp "SA Manteltuch" inside both SA or nskk coats.
                    Cheers

Comment

Sorry my computer colors are a little off the collar looks light on mine.

Comment

Thanks Erich (and everyone else who responded)! I really appreciate the information.

Comment

up for sale

I just posted the coat for sale on the e-stand. Thanks, everybody!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X