Comment

And 24 mm !
      Attached Files

Comment

Both look good IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by ErichS View Post
          Both look good IMO.
          I agree! But the enamel on the big one looks a bit strange, perhaps a bit reenameled and the finish looks restored.

Comment

After taking another look at the 30mm badge it looks like some restoration has been done to the enamel and also refinishing of the gilt.

Comment

Very curious badges. The wreath on the 30 mm isn't right - look at the top where the leaves join you can see a double-struck flaw. Actually, you can see a double strike all along the inside of the wreath.

The catch hook looks wrong - it has bevelled edges. The numbers are the wrong font - close but not thick enough. The breather hole in the back should be round and instead it is oddly notched.

The small badge looks original but has been re-worked. You can see the notch in the pinplate that should line up with the breather hole, except the pin doesn't look reattached. The last three numbers look original, but the two ones look like the same font as the large badge and look to be added later. I've never seen a convincing fake of a small Deschler GPB before, but this one has definitely been monkeyed with.

My guess? The large is a fake and the small has had a number change to match it. It may also be a new generation of fake small Deschler. Either way, they wouldn't be for me.
              Last edited by sjl; 04-13-2010, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sjl View Post
                Very curious badges. The wreath on the 30 mm isn't right - look at the top where the leaves join you can see a double-struck flaw. Actually, you can see a double strike all along the inside of the wreath.

The catch hook looks wrong - it has bevelled edges. The numbers are the wrong font - close but not thick enough. The breather hole in the back should be round and instead it is oddly notched.

The small badge looks original but has been re-worked. You can see the notch in the pinplate that should line up with the breather hole, except the pin doesn't look reattached. The last three numbers look original, but the two ones look like the same font as the large badge and look to be added later. I've never seen a convincing fake of a small Deschler GPB before, but this one has definitely been monkeyed with.

My guess? The large is a fake and the small has had a number change to match it.

I do think you are right after closer inspection. I was thinking about the number font, never seen it before so it's a bit strange.

Comment

They do look funny and I defer to Stephen's opinion on these badges. If fake they have now gotten in dangerous territory!

Comment

Thank friends! You have strengthened my suspicions!

Comment

If fake they have now gotten in dangerous territory!
                      They have for sure, not seen this type before if forgery.

Comment

Interesting.I don't like the wreath on the 30mm and especially don't like the gilt on either,but thats hard to tell becuase might be the photography. Also take a look at those ugly vent holes ! Would be great to see these side by side with originals, who has them for sale?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Fish View Post
                          Interesting.I don't like the wreath on the 30mm and especially don't like the gilt on either,but thats hard to tell becuase might be the photography. Also take a look at those ugly vent holes ! Would be great to see these side by side with originals, who has them for sale?
                          Best advice, when in doubt don't!

Comment

Both look good IMO.
                            They look good, indeed ! Lesson learned: Take your time, when no originals are at hand to compare to !

Comment

Thanks !
                              But I have original in my archive !
                              This badge dug up from my friend aur Stalingrad battlefield !
                              Its - textbook & 1000% original.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X