Political Leader's Gorget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Political Leader's Gorget

I went out trading recently and bought a political leader's forge for $550 (a consignment at a general militaria dealer's shop). But after looking it over I got cold feet and he had no problems with buying it back.

The gorget had a shiny copper looking background (behind the eagle) instead of the usual matte (painted type) gold finish you always seem to see. The chain looked good but not the usual m/102 RZM number (I can't remember the RZM number on the chain nor that of the body which didn't seem to be the usual RZM number that I see)

Also the back had all the felt gone with only glue like redidue left. It was never the usual green -- It could have possibly been the tan felt you see sometimes BUT there was some red felt residue (but not much)

With no pictures (and from what I have described) did I screw up by letting it go back? Also has anyone ever seen a shiny copper background on one of these?
    Last edited by Military Trader; 04-04-2010, 04:32 PM.

Originally posted by Military Trader View Post
    I went out trading recently and bought a political leader's forge for $550 (a consignment at a general militaria dealer's shop). But after looking it over I got cold feet and he had no problems with buying it back.

The gorget had a shiny copper looking background (behind the eagle) instead of the usual matte (painted type) gold finish you always seem to see. The chain looked good but not the usual m/102 RZM number (I can't remember the RZM number on the chain nor that of the body which didn't seem to be the usual RZM number that I see)

Also the back had all the felt gone with only glue like redidue left. It was never the usual green -- It could have possibly been the tan felt you see sometimes BUT there was some red felt residue (but not much)

With no pictures (and from what I have described) did I screw up by letting it go back? Also has anyone ever seen a shiny copper background on one of these?
    Here's mine, did it look like this?
    Attached Files

Comment

No actually it was the one with the turned up eagle (wings turned up) and the background was eaven more copper colored -- real shiny copper

Comment

No actually it was the one with the turned up eagle (wings turned up) and the background was eaven more copper colored -- real shiny copper
        There are very slight differences in the eagle itself depending on makers, but they should generally look almost the same. As for the backing, it would either be green or tan. Anything else would be a replacement. The "copper" you see I have seen a few times recently. This is what the gorget looks like when someone decides its a good idea to completely remove the finish off of the gorget. The chain could have any number of makers marks...off the top of my head theres the m1/128, m1/102, m/5/8 if I rmemeber correctly....I have them all written down somewhere. PL are not readily, and not at all well copied. The 500 range for one in that shape would be the top end of what you would want to spend. You can find some really, really nice and complete ones for 8-1000.

Comment

Just depends on where you get it. I just purchased an unissued one for 800, private sale of course.

Comment

Thanks guys -- I agree it is probably good but the finish gone sounds logical. It was probably polished unmercifully. I believe either the chain or the body was m/5/8.

Comment

Thanks guys -- I agree it is probably good but the finish gone sounds logical. It was probably polished unmercifully. I believe either the chain or the body was m/5/8.
              The m5/8 is a good code, I wouldn't be worried about that one. Just work him on the price....

Comment

These gorgets are for political flag bearers, not political leaders.

They are very common and it is unwise to buy less than excellent condition.

Bob Hritz
                In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X