HJ Drum Question-quick reply needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HJ Drum Question-quick reply needed!

Gentlemen,Could someone please give me an idea of what I should pay for a HJ drum? The drum "body" is about 18 to 24 inches tall is painted with a "creamy" white background with red flames shooting up the body of the drum. All the hardware is present and it also has a small brass with black letters makers shield. Both drum heads have been replaced with modern made ones. Any help or advice will be much appreciated. Thank you!Regards,Dick

overall condition

Sorry, I failed to include some info concerning the condition of the drum. Overall it is in very good shape with some chips and nicks in the painted surface. The top edges of the upper painted "ring" show wear probably from being hit with the drumsticks. Thanks.
    Dick

Comment

pics?

Comment

pictures

I am sorry but I did not have my camera with me and I am hesitant to be that "interested" as the price might go up or they would be less interested in dealing on better price. It is the typical drum that you see in the old newsreels and propaganda films. It has a white background that has turned a creamy white with age and the flames go all the way around the drum. The flames start from the base and are wavy and get smaller as they go up. I hope that this helps. Thanks!
        Regards,Dick

Comment

Hello Dick,
          So it's a so called Landsknecht Trommel--like a tall cylinder? If the ropes and leather slides are still present and it's period, they're fairly hard to find in the US--I've seen them sell for between $700.00 and $2500.00, depending on condition and completeness. What's the asking price?
          Erich
          Festina lente!

Comment

Be careful with these, I've seen postwar examples being sold as period pieces, especially on EbayDE.

Comment

I've seen old ones still used in Weinfest and Bierfest parades in Germany--other than in the case of a possible repaint, or plastic parts, or a West or East Germany label, I suspect it would be impossible to determine the age. They've been made since the 1500s or so in various sizes and dimensions.
              Erich
              Festina lente!

Comment

Thank you!

Gentlemen,
                Thank you very much for your kind replies and help. I might be able to get some photos on Monday and will try. Thanks again!
                Best Regards,
                Dick

Comment

There's one up at the Collectors Guild. Take a look at that one and compare to the one you are considering. As stated they've been used for a long time so not too easy to date them to TR period.

Comment

Collectors Guild Drum

Thanks for the tip on their drum. The one I have found is very similar to that one in size and decoration except that it is red where their's is green and the "rings" at top and botton are all red. There are no ropes or leather on this one as the heads are held in place and adjusted by metal rods with hooked clips at each end. I did not see any evidence of holes for ropes on the "rings". I will try to get some photos Monday. I very much appreciate everybody's kind help. Thanks you!
                    Regards,
                    Dick

Comment

Many thanks!!

Gentlemen,
                      As usual the requests for help are met with kindness and the best of information. Thanks to all and especially to Erich who identified the drum and provided much needed insite! It has proved to be of Dutch manufacture and suffered some modifications.
                      Regards,
                      Dick

Comment

These drums are still being made and sold for about Euro 450,00 new (see link)...It might be difficult to tell the difference between a 70 year old drum and a 30 year old and heavily used drum.

http://www.reisser-musik.de/index.ph...reisroboter.de

Comment

Thank you

Sir,
                          Thanks for the link to the new drums. You are very correct about being able to tell old from new with these. However, the one I have found has been much used and abused. The ropes are gone and have been replaced by much newer metal adjustment hardware. It's to bad...
                          Regards,
                          Dick

Comment

Something like this? This is the mine:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ght=flame+drum

Mike

Originally posted by Dick Pumphrey View Post
                            Gentlemen,Could someone please give me an idea of what I should pay for a HJ drum? The drum "body" is about 18 to 24 inches tall is painted with a "creamy" white background with red flames shooting up the body of the drum. All the hardware is present and it also has a small brass with black letters makers shield. Both drum heads have been replaced with modern made ones. Any help or advice will be much appreciated. Thank you!Regards,Dick

Comment

Thanks Mike

Hi Mike,
                              Very much like yours except this one has red flames and the ropes have been removed and replaced with metal hooks and rods to be used to tighten the drum heads. Has lot's of wear and scratches but I am unable to tell how old it might be. Thanks for your interest.
                              Regards,
                              Dick

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X