Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swastica Christmas tree balls

Hello

something which certainly doesn´t come up very often.
    Does anyone know if these get faked as well or if those might be fakes?

Thanks for your help!
    Klaus

I was reading an article yesterday, in the Globe and Mail I believe, about how the Nazis attempted to remove Christ and Jesus, in other words the religious aspect from Christmas. They changed the words to christmas songs and among other things, brought in Christmas tree ornaments which the acticle described as swaztica ornaments, iron cross and stick grenade ornaments. So based on that article for what it's worth, these decorations could be the real thing.

Let's remember, the swaztica was everywhere during the Third Reich era. All government organizations, even the post office were adorneed with Swazticas on thier uniforms, so this isn't a stretch.

These ornaments do look like the older type that I have seen my parents have from years ago, although proving these are actually 100% TR period items may be harder without some proof, perhaps photos or a catalogue.

Comment

I have'nt seen these before, but, like Steve, my parents too had some old decorations, which looked to be made in the same way, thin glass with a neck, and a metal collar, with a wire thru it!! I reckon these look period!! -Nigek
      sigpic 57ers...."The Devil Is In The Detail"

Comment

They actually look a bit too new to me. I'm 63. I remember early ornaments (that were old in the 50s) that had cardboard collars with cheap tin spring/rings. Even earlier than that, the ornaments were placed on the branches, not hung. My aunt gave me a little suitcase ornament made of cardboard. These early glass ornaments were clear class and painted. Later collars were dull tin. These have gilded or brass collars that look quite new. Sorry if I am suspicious.

Comment

I'm sure that there are ornaments that were old in the 50's, ie, depression era that are cheaper quality than what is shown here. I also remember decorations that were just laid on the branches. Perhaps depression era decorations are of a lower quality than say TR era German made items, especially early war. I always associate German made items as a higher quality than what was found in many parts of the word. A generalization for sure, but just fuel for thought.

Comment

Be or not to be...

Good question....fakes or not?-for me personally they are a fake...maybe i m wrong- but this what i see on the picture it could be a "idea" which was created like in 60-70-why? in my home was a lot of christmas items made like this one in 50-60-70 - glas,characteristic look (metal details on top) as well a "silver pieces" which i see there as well-they are looking too good like 40 for me-on the top of glas where is a "metal holder" a glas with so many years should lose a white colour and should be seen a black glass(not clean)as well as cracks(inside)on paint;....next -holders-in early version of glas decoration a "holder"-i gave this name because they are "holding" a glass bulb....was made from cheap metal which was covered (plattered)-so should be visible changes in colour or missing covering.....next (but not all the time) was a holder construction-a "head"-ring should be bigger-early 50 was so-they was smaller in end of 60......but maybe i m wrong???

Comment

I am of the impression if these were originals they would show quality of manufacture...im guessing chinese fakes modern made for the market...germans always made all items with care , pride,and quality , even christmas ornaments...remember thats always the first consideration in any nazi item, now those of you who have original nazi christmas tree ornaments, post them please, then we can compare. the thing that makes me feel this way is the crude application of the red backround, and the black for the swas. But i also have never seen any actual proven C t balls or nazified ornaments for christmas trees .(i do believe they did exist) I would assume many of the nazi ones would have been destroyed , as it is something considered blasphemy in the Christmas world, as Christmas nazi ornaments are an oxymoron.

Comment

these look home made, I saw some at a flea Mkt. that were well made ..eagle & swas copies that could fool you

Comment

We have the the same style of christmas balls home, they are made in
                  very light glass. Those we have is from my grandmother, without the swaz..........

Comment

See this thread, especially page 3
                    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...as+decorations

Comment

Very interesting items.

If someone has any ww2 period christmas tree photo's, please post!

So we can determine how christmas tree ornaments looked in generally during that time.

Comment

Balls

Here's some more balls with swastikas.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=396143

Comment

swastikas & Loyal Order of the Redman

Before the Nazis the Loyal Order of the Redman (Hearkening back to the Boston Tea Party) was a fraternal Organization that used as its' symbol the swastika. They were blown out of the box by the Nazis. The Nazis ruined the swastika for everyone.
                          These ornaments might be for anything like the poker chips used here with swastikas for luck in the 1920s. Not just for the Nazis. Doug

Comment

some other ones:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=401512

Comment

Originally posted by juoneen View Post
                              I am of the impression if these were originals they would show quality of manufacture...im guessing chinese fakes modern made for the market...germans always made all items with care , pride,and quality , even christmas ornaments...remember thats always the first consideration in any nazi item, now those of you who have original nazi christmas tree ornaments, post them please, then we can compare. the thing that makes me feel this way is the crude application of the red backround, and the black for the swas. But i also have never seen any actual proven C t balls or nazified ornaments for christmas trees .(i do believe they did exist) I would assume many of the nazi ones would have been destroyed , as it is something considered blasphemy in the Christmas world, as Christmas nazi ornaments are an oxymoron.

Total myth. Just look at the badges made by the Hymmen & Co, the Juncker CCCs, Schickle RKs, blah blah blah..... The list goes on and on. And those things were official awards, not some chintzy stuff to toss on a Christmas tree. Heck, even the PZ V (Pather) was prone to bursting into flames when it was first introduced. This myth of everything German was top quality all the time needs to die. It does nothing for the conversation nor does it ring true across the board when evaluating items.
                              pseudo-expert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X