NSDAP.....mm+925,,letter opener

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NSDAP.....mm+925,,letter opener

ok,,heres a letter opener I got last year,,,up for disscusion,,looks great,,never seen one before,,it has the same FHW incuse and 925 mark also half moom and crown as other NSDAP Items such as Hitlers etc,,,thanks
    Attached Files

pic#2
    Attached Files

Comment

pic #3.....its very heavy also,,,,
      Attached Files

Comment

maybe this might be documented in a book i dont know, but first impression, i felt the edges in the second photo to show poorly made and uneven edges. the third picture showing the eagle, in particular the swastika also shows a bit of a poorly made craftsmanship. I might be wrong. perhaps others might want to chime in their comments?

Comment

well the edges shows the eagle on side view making it seem rippling,,,,bit both side are some what different in detail,,its non magnetic material also..the dealer whom I purchased from believes its like a one of a kind,,maybe a gift to some Nsdap person,,,im not sure what its made of,,either,, but all comments are welcome,,,thanks

Comment

Originally posted by realone View Post
            well the edges shows the eagle on side view making it seem rippling,,,,bit both side are some what different in detail,,its non magnetic material also..the dealer whom I purchased from believes its like a one of a kind,,maybe a gift to some Nsdap person,,,im not sure what its made of,,either,, but all comments are welcome,,,thanks
            The first thing to do it determine if it is 925 silver.

Comment

ok,,how do i fined out if its really 925 silver,,,????

Comment

Originally posted by realone View Post
                ok,,how do i fined out if its really 925 silver,,,????
                The best way I know is to take it to a jeweler that knows what they are doing. But, it doesn't look like silver (any type) from the pics. Is that just the lighting?

Comment

Hi Curt,,,,,,it looks like it has a gold hue to it,,,,,I mean it doesnt have the ,,what I call normal aged silver look,,,,but Im no expert on this,,but good thing is I got from well known dealer who guarantees it,,so,,,with that in mind,,,,I would like to know,,,,

Comment

OK - here is the science nerd's way of testing.

Sterling silver is 92.5% silver by mass (plus usually 7.5% copper) with a combined density of 10.3 g/cm3
                    . To test you need to figure out the volume of the opener. To do this meaasure displacement in water (remember Archimedes?). Place the opener in a beaker full of water and measure how high the water level goes up in cc's (cubic centimeters). That is the volume of the opener.

Weigh the opener. If it is sterling, it should be the volume in cc's x 10.3 grams. If not, it is some other metal.

Who ever thought high school science would be useful?

Personally, the letter opener looks too poorly designed to be a period jeweler piece. That's one ugly bird with odd feet and a rough swastika. My vote is for a modern repro, but you never know.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X