Need Opinion on Eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Opinion on Eagle

I have been offered this wooden eagle for purchase. The workmanship is reasonable, but not expert as you will see from the pictures. I would like to get an opinion on it, and see if anyone else has seen one like this.

Thanks, Brad
    Attached Files

Eagle

More detail
    Attached Files

Comment

Eagle - Back view

Rear view- you can see the hanger
      Attached Files

Comment

Ive seen this at the dealer's website and i think its not worth the price. hard to ascertain the authenticity of it. could be a post war piece we'll never know from these one off pieces.

Comment

I would think that hook to the back is kinda small for such a piece.
          More of a picture frame hook...but who's to say.
          Regards,
          Gary

Comment

Opinion on Eagle

Thanks for your comments. This one is one that I found questionable, and you confirmed that. It is being offered to me as part of a larger group of memorabilia. I'll sidestep this one.

Regards, Brad

Comment

I don't know Gary. A 'fixture' like this could well be added post war to hang it in a collection. Your's had no hook when you were kind enough to let me adopt it & now it's got a hook. My others have a variety of junk hardware that, over the years, have been used to hang them...

I think one should focus on the carving & style rather than the hooks & fixtures that may be present now.

Just me though...

Where is it & how big is it?

Rick C.

Comment

Could be Rick, but that eagle you got from me was smaller, I believe, looking at the hook and eagle on this bird.
                As for craftsmanship on this, not one I would expect from that era.
                Looks out of proportion, head vs. body for example.
                Regards,
                Gary

Comment

I am not weighing in on one side or the other, but remember that there was a large cottage industry in the III Reich of patriotic handicrafts by amateurs such as at HJ camps, Frauenschaft groups, artisan competitions and the like, not to mention Hans sitting on the porch making one to present to his local Ortsgruppe, DAF block or to hang in the village hall in Dumpenburg.

Comment

Source of Eagle

I am getting the size of the Eagle now from the seller, but I am now leaning towards the opinion that Stephen expressed. While the piece is obviously not professionally done, I think it might be a local cottage industry piece. Once I get my hands on it, there may be a way of doing some more detailed analysis.

I am trying to assign a value to it. Any thoughts?

Thanks Brad

Comment

Without a size Brad it's real hard to guess at a value. It might be ten inches or it may be 2 foot...

Rick

Comment

More Detail

It's 20 inches (51cm) high and about 18 inches (46 cm) across. Three piece construction (as you see from the back). Purchased in Frankfurt about 2003.

Thanks, Brad

Comment

One more detail picture

One addtional picture...
                          Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X