Who were the Reichzeugmeisterei workers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who were the Reichzeugmeisterei workers

We were having an all too deep discussion at the shop this weekend, and the question came up WHO exactly was the RZM? Were they just political NSDAP guys? With all the "stuff" that they oversaw, it had to be a fairly large group.

We also envisioned special uniforms and even a new dagger for them, but while this was all conjecture, it is kind of odd that an organization of that size and importance didn't even have a sleeve rate unique to them.

has anyone ever had an ID or anything identifying someone from the Reichzeugmeisterei?
    http://militarycollectorshq.com/

sigpic

T think this could help starting the discussion a bit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichszeugmeisterei

Gerdan

Comment

in addition:

http://209.85.129.132/search?q=cache...&ct=clnk&gl=de

http://forum.stirpes.net/geschichte-...terei-rzm.html

Gerdan

Comment

Briefly, the RZM was the bureaucratic organization that oversaw the manufacture and distribution of NSDAP materials.. (SS, SA, NSDAP, etc)..You wont find RZM markings on any organization that didnt fall under the auspices of the Party... (Heer, Luftwaffe, etc)
        The RZM was in place for a couple reasons: the Party was entitled to income from the licensing of its imagery, which the RZM helped direct back to it, and the RZM also made sure that the Party materials were consistent from manufacturer to manufacturer..

The RZM tag on an article basically says:
        a) the item has met minimum standards put forth by the Party and
        b) that a percentage of the sale is to be sent back to help fund the Party

Typical of the Nazis, there is more to it than this, but to the average collector who may not focus on Party items, this should be a good start to understanding its basic function...

Comment

I know Friedrich_Berthold on the warrelics forum posted a pic of some RZM employees in front of the RZM building. If I recall right, they were all political leaders. I will see if I can find it.
          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Here's a quote out of my book on the RZM:

"The Reichszeugmeisterei was organized as
            Hauptamt (Main Department) VIII of the
            Reichsschatzmeister (Office of the Treasurer of
            the NSDAP). A Hauptamt is the highest
            administrative level in any NSDAP department.
            It is important to note that Schwarz’s
            Reichsschatzmeisterei was a Party and not a
            government body, although the lines tend to
            blur in a one-party state.

Schwarz appointed a Leiter der
            Reichszeugmeisterei to be responsible for the
            RZM within the Reichsschatzmeisterei. It was
            initially headed by Hauptamtsleiter Richard
            Büchner who reported to Schwarz. Büchner
            was replaced in May, 1941 by Wilhelm
            Helfer, an SA Obergruppenführer who had
            been the commander of SA Gruppe Hochland.
            Helfer was also an Alter Kämpfer of the
            NSDAP, having also joined the Party in 1922.
            He remained in the position until 1945.

The RZM Hauptamt had three sub-departments:
            the Prüfungsamt (Inspection Office),
            the Amt für Normierung und Zulassen (Office for
            Standardization and Admission), and the Amt für
            Einkauf und Vertrieb (Purchase and Distribution
            Office)."

[p. 10]

More information has come to light even since I published my basic guidebook in 2004. Someday I'll get around to an update.

Comment

In the Military Advisors some while back there where add's of someone who was working on a book on the RZM, to be published by Bender publishing. He was searching for photo's of tags and stamps on particulair items.

Does anybody know who this person is and in what stage the book is? I guess he can tell us more. I'm really looking forward to this book!

(Or is this you Stephen?)

Comment

Not me - looking forward to it too. Is it Wilhelm Saris? If so I think it is only RZM cloth.

Comment

I believe it was Clyde Davis, who published a small booklet of RZM metal item maker's codes in the 70s(?). Still a very good reference, but few photos except for illustrations of some of the RZM labels for various metal items.
                  Erich
                  Festina lente!

Comment

CR Davis's book (by Runic Press) has been out of print for almost 30 years. Not sure who the more recent one was going to be by (unless it is W. Saris), or if it just disappeared as an unfinished project,

Comment

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough--Clyde Davis has been amassing RZM labeled and unusual stamped items over the last decade or more, and with the use of his original RZM handbook and volumes of RZM bulletins, regulations, schematics, etc., will be releasing a new book on RZM metal items/producers/code numbers. It should be the best to date on that subject, so the cloth book still needs to be written by someone!
                      Erich
                      Festina lente!

Comment

Now that's a book I would buy.

Comment

Indeed looking forward on a book on RZM labeled items!

Anybody in contact with Clyde or Roger to check the status on this work?!

Comment

Not lately, but I'll check later today.
                            Erich
                            Festina lente!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X