UV light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UV light

What do you guys think, to me it appears to glow, not as intence as say a piece of paper but it still glows.

First picture is of my two brown shirts.
    Attached Files

This picture still has both shirts, how ever only the one appears to glow.
    Attached Files

Comment

I've seen stuff that's been washed in detergent glow like that and worse. I know zero about SA uniforms.

Comment

I was thinking that as well. Other modern white fabric's glow a lot brighter than that. So I don't know. I don't have much experience in this field, so that's why I'm looking for more experienced peoples opinion. Could it also be a rayon and cotton blend?

Thanks,

Chris
        Last edited by 415; 07-10-2009, 11:54 PM.

Comment

My opinion, there just fine..like others have stated, modern cleaning, rayon, etc.
          The Germans did have synthetic materials since the 1800's, plus these do not seem to light up like a lighthouse.
          Regards,
          Gary

Comment

They look okay to me. If it were 100% fake I think it would be like a lighthouse. Plus, as Ruhl13 said old synthetic does not glow nearly as bright as new would. Probably just washed or of older material. Many moderns detergents will glow under a UV lamp. So, if one were to wash a good uniform, I think the glow would be present. See link for glowing detergent, you'll see what I mean. This stuff really lights up.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/photog...-Detergent.htm

Comment

Ok thanks guys for your help. It make me feel a lot better about the shirt.

Regards,

Chris

Comment

I can only agree with the comments already told. The UV light is a helping tool but sometimes it create more confusion as solutution

Regards, Theo
                Wim Vangossum
                Freedom is not for Free

Comment

As an SS cloth collector, I believe very much in the UV light.

But I agree the shirts are fine.
                  http://militarycollectorshq.com/

sigpic

Comment

With the chemicals they have now to block UV, there is nothing left to believe in

It is just another tool to use, but hardly fool proof and certainly nothing to base originality on.
                    https://www.nsdapuniforms.com

Comment

Certainly True Jeff,

Not to base originality on, but when one take-up thread on a piece glows like a Christmas tree, it is enough to raise a concern of non-originality...

As we have seen in this thread, results can be mis-interpreted. I have had to explain to upset new collectors that 1960s US patches WILL and SHOULD glow.

But along with good reference books, this forum, and a grain of salt, it still is another good tool in the arsenal against fakery.

( Plus they are just fun to play with in the dark )

sigpic

Comment

Agree also. If it was a modern white fabric it would generally glow as brightly as the piece of paper you used. I have seen some modern white fabric that didn't glow, but most does--you can also use a white T-shirt or white towel as a comparison. The mottled appearance you show usually does mean someone used a detergent with phosphates or 'brighteners' to wash it at some point.
                        Erich
                        Festina lente!

Comment

Thanks guys. This was a good learning experience for all new guys in this hobby, my self included.

Regards,

Chris

Comment

The myths concerning ultra violet glow are not based on history or science. What the black light proves, is the presence of phosphate whiteners that react to the black light by glowing brightly. The modern phosphate whiteners were invented by the German chemical industry as an improvement to the previous whiteners using the 18th century caustic whiteners. These chemical improvements were patented just prior to WW2. The fact that a war time German textile reacts to UV light only proves the existance of the phosphate in the cloth. These brighteners were utilized since circa 1940, NOT post 1945!. The black light test is valid, but the dates of its use must be understood. Any textile made before 1939 that glows is post war, since the phosphate whiteners did NOT exist before circa 1939. To categorically claim that if a German textile's white glows, makes it a postwar repro, is flat wrong in my opinion. The German patents date to 1939, this is a fact of industrial history. The post 45 theory is an urban myth!

Comment

Regardless of the dates, I have NEVER had an SS item that I got from a US vet that glowed even a bit.

Again it is just one tool, but there is some basis. It also helps you see repairs and alterations to other items.

sigpic

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X