allach ss awards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

allach ss awards

i assume the plate might have been intended to be presented with a dedication , or perhaps not.
    robert sowada
    Attached Files

q

q
    Attached Files

Comment

w

w
      Attached Files

Comment

a

a
        Attached Files

Comment

Wow Bob, two beautiful Allach pieces to drool over. Thanks for sharing with us. And surprised no one has commented before. The blank SS award plate is similar to the blank Police award plate in that I think they were intended as replacements to be supplied in case of breakage. Or in the case of the SS plate, to be used for future awards as those issued versions seem to be hand painted. Do you have any provenance on the SS Plate perhaps? I would love to hear from a vet where he liberated such a plate. But I am afraid the odds of that happening are lengthening rapidly.

Thanks again.

Comment

thanks for the kind words

dear joe,
            yes, i can describe the events of the vet. in the late sixties a friend of mine identified himself as

the first provost marshall at dachau after it was liberated. a few days after he was there an ss noncom came out of some nearby woods while he was driving in his jeep and explained that he had concealed a cache of allach. he would reveal the hiding place if a safe surrender was guaranteed. thiis was done.
            this fellow also had an array of animal figures and a set of the morisken statues. foolishly, i was only interested in the nazi theme items. i still have most of those.
            another odd story. this fellow had loaned the chained ss dagger to a local collector of firearms who had his own museum. i visited it and was most interested in the chained ss, which was affixed high, nanging by a nail. i asked if i could take a closer look. the answer was no. when i became aware that the dagger was actually still owned by my friend, we agreed that the local collector should be given a chance to buy it, as he had had it for years. the local collector weeped and moaned that he really liked it, and with much gnashiing of teeth went up to 300 dollars, all the while implying it should really be given to him. my offer from the start, which remained unmentioned, was 500 dollars. i am still most pleased, in a very unchristian manner, that the dagger i was not allowed to look at ended up in my collection, where it still is.
            the wife of this friend asked me several times not to ask her husband too much about those days at the end of wwii, because he had not ever gotten over what he saw there in 1945. to a great extent, i tried to comply with this request.
            thanks, robert sowada

Comment

Now that is an interesting provenance. Was the Schwarzkorps plaque among the items in the cache that the veteran acquired, or did you come by it later?

Comment

Nice items and thanks for sharing some of the history.

Can we see the dagger?

Comment

Hello,
                  Again Robert I have to say, beautiful items. The detail on the scharzekorps plaque is particularly nice. Fascinating history of the items too. And as far as being unchristian like regarding the dagger now in your collection, glad to hear the other guy was moaning and weeping about it. Always nice to see someone get what they deserve LOL. Thanks for posting these items.
                  regards
                  Duzig(Bill)

Comment

Originally posted by robert sowada View Post
                    he had concealed a cache of allach. he would reveal the hiding place if a safe surrender was guaranteed. this was done.
                    so in 1945 allach was considered valuable?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X