Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

N.s.d.a.p. Medal

Hi to all WAF members.
    This is my latest edition to my collection, the heavyweight version of this medal but what I would like ask you all is... why did they make this medal in both a lightweight and heavyweight version?

many thanks in advance...
    regards,
    Belinda
    Attached Files
    sigpic"BATTLES ARE SOMETIMES WON BY GENERALS, BUT WARS ARE NEARLY ALWAYS WON BY SERGEANTS AND PRIVATES"

hi,looks like a nice cross, as to why there were 2 types, i think it was just a variation in manufacturing technique, no other reason!! -Nigel
    sigpic 57ers...."The Devil Is In The Detail"

Comment

Originally posted by knockoffnigel View Post
      hi,looks like a nice cross, as to why there were 2 types, i think it was just a variation in manufacturing technique, no other reason!! -Nigel
      Hello Fraubella, Nigel is quite correct although some collectors are of the opinion that there were two weight variants as the heavy variant was intended for male while the lightweight was manufactured for females. From my perspective this is not the case and the lighter versions (at least the examples that I have encountered) are usually later issues
      Regards Martin

Comment

Many thanks Martin and Nigel for taking the time to answering my question. I have learnt something new yet again.

regards,
        Belinda
        Last edited by belinda; 03-14-2009, 08:58 AM.
        sigpic"BATTLES ARE SOMETIMES WON BY GENERALS, BUT WARS ARE NEARLY ALWAYS WON BY SERGEANTS AND PRIVATES"

Comment

Martin, if it is true that the lightweight types were issued later in the production cycle, could it be due to wanting to conserve materials for the war effort?
          Richard V

Comment

NSDAP Cross

Actually, there were three different types of bronze 10-yr crosses. They were made in zinc, lightweight alloy and solid bronze. The solid bronze version is also quite thin like the lightweight alloy and is very desirable!

As to the suggestion that females were given the lightweight version, this is completey wrong as there are examples of the heavy zinc versions being in groups awarded to females.

Stan

Comment

Many thanks Stan for your help, as I was led to believe that the lightweight version was issued to females only. But, Martin, Nigel and yourself have put me right in this matter.

regards,
              Belinda

Comment

Stan is quite correct in his analasise. The light weight form also is from another die. These are very hard to find.

Comment

I have got two versions of this medal now and so it looks like I need just the third sort and I will then have a full house!

Many thanks to all of you who have helped me out... much appreciated.

regards,
                  Belinda

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                  X