SA "Under-Tunic" Shirt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SA "Under-Tunic" Shirt

Now here's a hard-to-find item. The missing link for my SA Kurpfalz tunic.
    These apparently came in a short-waisted AND a tuck-in style. Similar to a brownshirt, but MUCH lighter material, no pockets, and it has the typical brownshirt single belt loop in the back. It has a detachable collar. I will post pics of the complete ensemble later.
    Attached Files

SA Shirt

Closeup.. shown without collar.
    Attached Files

Comment

SA Shirt

Button-on collar...
      Attached Files

Comment

SA Shirt

Sturm identification on collar..
        Attached Files

Comment

Very interesting! I've seen one of these before (or it might be the same one) made like a cross between the regulation shirt and the brownshirt. I don't know what to make of it. With the design, the wearer would have to wear another shirt underneath, then this shirt, and then the tunic. I haven't found an RZM catalogue or SA VB issue mentioning this style, although there were several models with detachable collars (which was common for civilian dress shirts as well in those days).
          Are there any markings in the shirt itself?
          Erich
          Festina lente!

Comment

Bear me please, but has the collar a different color then the shirt, or is it the picture?
            I've some doubts with the collar.

Best,
            Laurens

Comment

I have an HJ pull over with no pockets that came with a winter tunic set up.

Just for giggles I put on an HJ shirt then put on a winter tunic. The shoulder boards really made it wierd feeling. At it did not sit flat like the photos show, so they must have at least a blank shirt underneath.

interesting

Comment

The short brownshirts were considered a tunic, so were only intended to be worn over a collarless or soft collared shirt, although some early photos show SA leaders wearing a stiff celluloid collared white shirt underneath. Since this one has a loop in the back, it was apparently not intended to be worn under a tunic, as the loop in back only makes sense if there are belt hooks installed. Since the collar is removable, I am sure it was not originally with this shirt. The collar/shirt sets were sold in matching colors/fabrics. I'm curious to see the inside of the shirt, and whether there is a lined waistband that was intended to have belt hooks, whether it was an under the tunic shirt that was in the process of being converted to a brownshirt, or ?
                Erich
                Festina lente!

Comment

Shirt

Good points, Erich - I noticed the difference in color. The button holes DO line up perfectly, however. Interestingly, the collar is VERY stiff as though it was heavily starched. Does that possibly account for the difference in color? The pleats at the bottom look like they were possibly made for belt hooks, but there is no evidence there ever were any. The inside waistband is NOT lined at all. The shirt material is VERY thin, similar to the side lining material in an early Allgemeine SS visor cap. The white strip of lining down the front is much thinner than the normal brownshirt lining. There are 2 holes below where the pocket would be that are reinforced, as though they were wearing a wound badge maybe. The belt loop is sewn in place with the original shirt stitching. My assumption: The shirt IS period, and was made to be worn under a tunic, with the option of removing the tunic, in the event of it being too warm, where it would then function as a brownshirt. The collar may or may not be original to the shirt. Any problems with this assessment? Thanks!!!

Comment

Shirt

The shirt has this designation at the inside collar top: 5032 S 595 6

Comment

Shirt

Also, the buttons look like the same buttons found on the bottom of most brownshirts, only darker, and a little smaller. They appear to be celluloid, not plastic.

Comment

I have the same shirt for my HJ suits. Take a look for more details :

http://streifendienst.blogspot.com/2...braunhemd.html

Lauri

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X