opinion on SA insignia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

opinion on SA insignia

Just received this, it looks cut from a roll and although the poor light doesn't do justice to true colours, eagle is silver, on a brown background and sewn on a kakhi cloth
    I would appreciate some opinions and id ...

Thanks

SA Lagermutze insignia - (Field cap eagle), worn on the left hand side of the cap..Brown denotes which Gruppe

Comment

thank you LW Blue!

and brown to which group belongs?

Comment

Patch

Niedersachsen (Hannover) and Westmark both wore dark brown. After 1940, it was Niedersachsen and Mittelrhein. (I don't know if gruppe Westmark changed their name to Mittelrhein, but it's in the same area, Koblenz.

Comment

Insignia

Addendum: According to one SA book, the earlier insignia like this has the eagle sewn in the color of the SA Gruppe button color (Gold or silver). According to another publication, after 1939, the triangle base color was changed to black for all Gruppes. I don't know if this last one is true or not.

Comment

I think both of the details in the reference book are incorrect--I'd have to check to be 100% sure, but I believe the 2nd style bevo insignia always had a silver eagle for the SA, and I don't think the background color was changed to black for all groups.
            Erich
            Festina lente!

Comment

Insignia

I doubted the "black background theory" also, as I have NEVER seen one, though they surely existed for SA Gruppes Berlin Br. and Niederrhein. If black became a universal color, you'd surely see a lot more of them, I'd think. I HAVE seen the eagle in gold but probably was Marine SA, and one book shows a gold eagle on olive background. Most of my info comes from the Angolia book, which I believe to be one of the better references. The Halcomb book is OK I guess. The Fuller SA book has some nice color pictures. If you want to display SA stuff, try using burgandy velvet as a background. Patches like the one posted look stunning with this background. I never thought that velvet would work with wool patches, but the original wool and other quality materials are fine enough quality that it works!! Will post pics when finished.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X