SA Mystery Item

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SA Mystery Item

This is affixed to the front of a helmet that I am researching. It is most certainly not original to the helmet. But the real question, what is it and where did it come from in the first place? I've never seen anything like it. Even the early belt buckles I've seen use the ess-zett (ß) rather than the double-S, which is how we English-ify the German letter, but I know that Germans haven't always used ß for "ss", so I'm at a loss on that.

Anyway, have any of you seen anything like this before? I thought it may have come from a gorget, but I had no luck finding anything there. It may be fake as well, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by wbarringer; 06-27-2008, 10:20 AM.

Total Fantasy Item. Another Product Of The 4th Reich. Possibly Produced For Wear By Bikers.

Comment

Ha! Thanks. Definitely not German bikers, either. They would have spelled it right.

Comment

Originally posted by wbarringer View Post
        This is affixed to the front of a helmet that I am researching. It is most certainly not original to the helmet. But the real question, what is it and where did it come from in the first place? I've never seen anything like it. Even the early belt buckles I've seen use the ess-zett (ß) rather than the double-S, which is how we English-ify the German letter, but I know that Germans haven't always used ß for "ss", so I'm at a loss on that.

Anyway, have any of you seen anything like this before? I thought it may have come from a gorget, but I had no luck finding anything there. It may be fake as well, but I'm not sure.

It was always acceptable to substitute SS for the Ess-Zet in German and now it is even the 'law' in the German language .... the Ess-Zet is not supposed to be used at all anymore ... however, this badge is certainly a modern phantasy item. Cheers, Torsten.

Comment

Well, the "ß" is only used, when you write in small letters. There is no equivalent for capital writing. So it is allways "SS" in all-capital writing...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X