Original Railroad Eagle??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Original Railroad Eagle??

I have no idea if this is real. It measures 23 1/4" wide by 13" tall. I believe that it was at one time cemented to a wall as there is quite a bit of cement residue still on and in the back and crevices of the bird. There is a small makers mark but it is illegable and both the front and back have a built up white crystalline substance that looks like "zinc pest".

Can anyone help to confirm or deny it's being either good or bad?

Thanks,

Chuck
    Last edited by vonStubben; 07-25-2008, 09:14 PM.

back

Comment

Reverse close up. You can't really make it out in this picture but there are bits of gravel and sand from the cement residue stuck to it.

Comment

Front close up

Comment

This one in my opinion has been cast from either a WEHOG or APAG Rail eagle, and is not a period piece. The size is all wrong for a period eagle and you can see quite a bit of deformity where the maker should be and also in the obverse of the left wing. The area of the studs are cast over nubs that are the result of making a post war cast from an original rail eagle or in this case it could have been cast from even post war copy.

Comment

Your can take JR's opinion to the bank on these Eagles.

Comment

Originally posted by JR. View Post
              This one in my opinion has been cast from either a WEHOG or APAG Rail eagle, and is not a period piece. The size is all wrong for a period eagle and you can see quite a bit of deformity where the maker should be and also in the obverse of the left wing. The area of the studs are cast over nubs that are the result of making a post war cast from an original rail eagle or in this case it could have been cast from even post war copy.
              Thank you JR, your response is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Chuck

Comment

The other thing that makes this a somewhat easy call is the corrosion, the metallic structure contains magnesium and silicone which prevents corrosion and the most likely reason they were used.

Comment

Actually I did see one that had been submerged in water that was all corroded, so the metal will fatigue under certain conditions.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X