New Fake Kepis At The S O S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Fake Kepis At The S O S

While Attending The S O S, I Had Two New Model Fake Kepis Brought To Me For An Opinion. The First Was Supposed To Be N S K K. The Material Was Close. However The Example Lacked The Firmness Found In Period Examples. The N S K K Button On The Front Was New, Lacking The Detail Of An Oribginal Example. The Bill Was Too Large And Misshaped. The Sweatband Had Evidently Been Salvaged From An Old Men's Hat. It Fit Poorly In The Kepi.
    The Second Kepi Was A Copy Of An Early Piece Without Gruppe Color. On This Example, They Have Achieved Making An Oilcloth Top Close To That Of An Original. Errors Included A Sweatband That Did Not Match The Thiness Found In Early Period Examples.
    Further, The 1929 Pattern National Emblem Was Poorly Copied And Had Xeveral Errors In The Stamping Design.
    The Usual Subjects Had The Often Seen Fake Staff General Officer Kepis. I Counted At Least Ten.

Any photos? For the description they will be easy to spot compared with originals. What about good original ones,where they available?

Fred

Comment

I Personally Only Saw One Early Kepi. It Was An Interesting Piece But Suffering From Severe Dry Rot. The Only Kepis I Saw Were Fake Gneeral Officer Grade. However, I Did Not Cover The Whole Show Either.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Coleman View Post
        I Personally Only Saw One Early Kepi. It Was An Interesting Piece But Suffering From Severe Dry Rot. The Only Kepis I Saw Were Fake Gneeral Officer Grade. However, I Did Not Cover The Whole Show Either.
        Thank you for the info!!! It seems that geting a good SA or NSKK kepi these days have become more dificult.

Fred

Comment

Bob,
          I checked the early kepi that you first described, I believe. I went over it with a loupe and I would buy that one as an original. The materials, construction, interfacing, and age were spot on for a pre color band kepi. The eagle I felt could be a unique original, as it was very well detailed and well struck. The swastika was an 'outie' rather than an 'innie', which was unusual but not necessarily a fatal sign. I completely agree about the others--there were 1970s copies, some were part of the group that came up several years ago from Europe and appeared at a Max or SOS. SA headgear has always been hard to find--rarer than Allgemeine SS headgear--and it becomes less and less prevalent.
          Thanks for the RAZ cap!
          Erich
          Festina lente!

Comment

Good to meet you Erich at the show!! I know there was at least one good SA kepi there.

Comment

I was the one with the NSKK and the early SA kepi in question.

The NSKK I purchased from a small stand. Don´t know the owner´s name.

Here are the pics of the early one: http://www.craiggottlieb.com/data/in...rly+Production

I saw it short before the SOS on Craig Gottlieb´s website. I have contacted here at WAF several people regarding an opinion and got mainly favourable replies, that it should be ok. Thus I have asked Craig to bring the kepi to the show. I bought it then on site and showed it during the SOS some more people. Suddenly I have received several opinions about it (including the one from Bob and Erich - btw thank you, Gentlemen, for your time and your efforts. I really appreciate your advice). As I´m no kepi pro at all, I wanted to be on the safe site and I returned it to Craig. I got the money back from Craig without any problem.

Still wondering if it´s a good or a bad one?

I´m looking since a while for an original SA kepi (preferably one from the Südwest Gau in yellow-orange) and a NSKK kepi. I got burned in the past 12 months on 6 kepis. Thank god (but also very concerning) I always buyed them from dealers with a return policy.

Concerning because ... whome can one still trust?

Comment

Don't worry, I had to wait for my first SA Kepi almost 5 years and NSKK officer almost 3 years. I admit that my "soft spot" is the wool type kepis and for that reason those two are in that material. When you least expected a good one will come up.

Fred

Originally posted by ivbaust View Post
                I was the one with the NSKK and the early SA kepi in question.

The NSKK I purchased from a small stand. Don´t know the owner´s name.

Here are the pics of the early one: http://www.craiggottlieb.com/data/in...rly+Production

I saw it short before the SOS on Craig Gottlieb´s website. I have contacted here at WAF several people regarding an opinion and got mainly favourable replies, that it should be ok. Thus I have asked Craig to bring the kepi to the show. I bought it then on site and showed it during the SOS some more people. Suddenly I have received several opinions about it (including the one from Bob and Erich - btw thank you, Gentlemen, for your time and your efforts. I really appreciate your advice). As I´m no kepi pro at all, I wanted to be on the safe site and I returned it to Craig. I got the money back from Craig without any problem.

Still wondering if it´s a good or a bad one?

I´m looking since a while for an original SA kepi (preferably one from the Südwest Gau in yellow-orange) and a NSKK kepi. I got burned in the past 12 months on 6 kepis. Thank god (but also very concerning) I always buyed them from dealers with a return policy.

Concerning because ... whome can one still trust?

Comment

SOS display:
                  Attached Files
                  NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

It Seems These Items Have Been Available At The S O S For Years.
                    I Wonder If There Is Some Relationship Between These And The Title Of The Thread?:d

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X