kepi , thoughts please ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kepi , thoughts please ?

hello , , i have shown this kepi to Bob Coleman who says that this is an odd kepi, as it appears to be original but has different combination of tresse ,buttons, chinstraps etc,seems an ugly duckling ,hoping that it's a swan ? the kepi appears to be named. as the kepi itself is real ,would this kepi make a good restoration project ?....Thankyou.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by marcus777; 11-25-2007, 12:31 AM. Reason: update

picture 2

picture 2
    Attached Files

Comment

picture 3

picture 3
      Attached Files

Comment

picture 4

picture 4
        Attached Files

Comment

picture 5

picture 5
          Attached Files

Comment

another picture

another picture
            Attached Files

Comment

I would agree with Bob--it looks like it was an original earlyish kepi, but without handling it it's hard to tell what's been added postwar. As it is, it's set up with the later style piping, Political Leader type button (but not the normal type), mid 30s PL eagle, and variant tresse. I would say that the best guess would be that all of the embellishments are postwar added, based on the fact that nothing really matches (a combination of early and late SA and PL accessories). The kepi itself, aside from the mothing, looks decent.
              Erich
              Festina lente!

Comment

Originally posted by Erich Benndorff View Post
                I would agree with Bob--it looks like it was an original earlyish kepi, but without handling it it's hard to tell what's been added postwar. As it is, it's set up with the later style piping, Political Leader type button (but not the normal type), mid 30s PL eagle, and variant tresse. I would say that the best guess would be that all of the embellishments are postwar added, based on the fact that nothing really matches (a combination of early and late SA and PL accessories). The kepi itself, aside from the mothing, looks decent.
                Erich

ERICH-
                YOUR COMMENTS MIRROR MINE. IF THE POST WAR TRESSE AND PIPING CAN BE REMOVED WITHOUT DAMAGE TO THE KEPI, IT HAS SOME HOPE FOR RESTORATION. THE BIGGEST PROBLEM IS THE 1935 PATTERN EAGLEM WHICH HS A DIFFERENT PIN PATTERN THEN THE FIRST PATTERN EAGLE AN UNWANTED SET OF HOLES WILL LIKELY BE VISIBLE. POSSIBLY THIS WAS A PUT TOGETHER PIECE FOR A THEATRICAL PERFORMANCE. IT CERTAINLY WAS NOT ASSEMBLED IN THIS WAY IN ORDER TO FOOL A KNOWLEDGABLE COLLECTOR.

Comment

now the story begins ....

I purchased this Kepi not really knowing what it was other than it was an SA Kepi , the person selling it to me made no false claims about what it was or supossed to be, after a quick google i thought perhaps it was a Standartenfuhrers SA Kepi pre RZM etc ........ a little bit of knowledge is indeed a dangerous thing because this was not to be. i have found out thankyou to Bob, Erich ,Craig that my Standentfuhrers Kepi is just a humble Kepi but not what i thought it was . After showing it to Bob and after reading both Bobs and Erichs posts i have taken their advice and decided to restore my Kepi to something a bit more faithful and genuine . ......i decided to remove tresse and cord or piping and button and began deconstructing my Kepi so that it is a bit more respectable but did not know what awaited me as i did not know what damage may have already been done , it is was sunday afternoon so i began by removing the top silver piping from the top of the Kepi, it has been pointed out to me that the silver piping here was the wrong thickness, before starting i examined how the piping was attached and it has been attached crudely as if attached with fishing line but it is cotton and it has been poorly attached, no Standartenfuhrers Kepi would be sewn in such a way as this, i notice before i begin removing the silver piping that the area underneath it is already very worn , i begin to remove the piping very carefully i soon learn that by gently twisting the piping in an anti -clockwise direction the piping begins to detach itself though small scissors are still occasionally required.........
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by marcus777; 11-25-2007, 06:11 AM.

Comment

picture 2

i begin by removing the front button to gain access to tresse and also begin by removing silver piping on top of the kepi, i notice before i begin that there is already some signs of strong wear and damage underneath the piping so i decide i have nothing to lose and so begin carefully.......i consider before i begin keeping the dolled up kepi as a decorative piece but decide what for ?. .....so begin deconstructing the Kepi...............wondering what i may find or learn...........
                    Attached Files

Comment

i begin removing tresse....?

At first i find it hard to find the stitching as it is so fine and closely sewn i begin to imagine that it is has been glued ? !..... but luckly not so ,the stitching is very ,very fine i begin by removing tresse it comes away nicely , i am very lucky as unlike the the top of the Kepi that had signs of wear or damage beneath the piping,beneath the tresse there is minimum wear or damage or signs of tresse having been attached, the material is in good condition, i am lucky, also i notice that the tresse is sewn on using a modern sewingmachine and that the cotton used is a very bright white cheap synthetic cotton, it has to go......i work my way around the Kepi my luck holds and there is little sign of damage....
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by marcus777; 11-25-2007, 06:14 AM.

Comment

i continue removing tresse and cord....

i continue removing tresse and cord and work my way around the Kepi....i begin to hope that i am not the victim of a practical joke by Bob and Erich ?
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by marcus777; 11-25-2007, 05:29 AM.

Comment

....finally no more tresse or cord !

...finally no more tresse or cord but i am not out of the woods just yet......notice the cheap modern cotton used to attach the tresse and cord.....
                          Attached Files

Comment

rear edge of kepi in good condition ....

picture shows rear edge of Kepi after removal of tresse and piping considering how heavy the sewing was all the way around i consider the edge of kepi to be in ver good condition compared to the top edge of the kepi ......nice and clean at last .....
                            Attached Files

Comment

Kepi with detrious removed .....

Kepi with all the offending detrious removed and displayed in front of the Kepi
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X