Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for advice on finding 78 records

Hello there,

Sorry if this post is in the wrong spot as I am new to the forums. I am a collector of Third Reich era 78 rpm records and am always looking for additions to the collection. I am wondering if any of you can recommend sources who have some of these original records either in the US or worldwide. Of course, on Ebay it isn't possible to list the NSDAP etc. recordings so that's not a good source although I did find some on Militaria321.com. I have already tried the Axis History Forum also. The site "Snyders Treasures" has a few but I won't do business there because I don't trust the integrity of the proprietor and because he's asking ridiculous prices. Of particular interest to me are the recordings of S. Sturmbann XII featuring Rolf Sandor with Martin Ewers conducting. I am also looking for photos of him and also other bands of that time period. Finally, if any of you have items of interest, I would consider those also.

Cheers,

Dave

question

well, i don't know shoot from shinola about 78's [except that i'm old enough to remember them] but you got my attention with your screen name. as long as you don't have to kill me if you tell me; what is ingedenkenwkobs??

tc

Comment

Originally posted by echoe View Post
      well, i don't know shoot from shinola about 78's [except that i'm old enough to remember them] but you got my attention with your screen name. as long as you don't have to kill me if you tell me; what is ingedenkenwkobs??

tc
      That is funny. Nope! No big secret here....it simply means in memory of my grandfather Wil. Kobs.

Cheers!

Dave

Comment

Hello Dave,
        Among many other things, I collect 78's and related items--primarily SA but also military. I've got maybe 70 or so, and have been buying them since the 70s. They are around, and if you go to the German eBay, you can find them from time to time, but usually the postage exceeds the record cost, and because they're so fragile, it's quite possible that you'll get a box of pieces. I've bought them both from dealers, from used record dealers, from collectors, from veterans--basically, from wherever I can find them. Have you many in your collection? What sort of turntable do you use to play them (assuming you do)?
        Erich
        Festina lente!

Comment

Originally posted by Erich Benndorff View Post
          Hello Dave,
          Among many other things, I collect 78's and related items--primarily SA but also military. I've got maybe 70 or so, and have been buying them since the 70s. They are around, and if you go to the German eBay, you can find them from time to time, but usually the postage exceeds the record cost, and because they're so fragile, it's quite possible that you'll get a box of pieces. I've bought them both from dealers, from used record dealers, from collectors, from veterans--basically, from wherever I can find them. Have you many in your collection? What sort of turntable do you use to play them (assuming you do)?
          Erich
          Hello Erich,

You are right that some can be purchased at Ebay in Germany. But, the NSDAP marches and so forth cannot be listed as a general rule. I have probably now around 200 schellacks most of which are marches from 33-45. Some, however, are interesting types of popular records from the same period. I have just now received some really great SA marches, one of which is on the "SA Schallplatte" made by Electrocord in 1933. To play the records, I am using an Audio Technica ATPL120 with differing cartridges and stylii. Mainly, I use the Stanton 500.V3 with the D5127 stylus for best effect. These are played through a pre-amp by RDL into a Digigram sound card VX222 and then recorded into Adobe Audition 2.0. I have been fortunate to find good sellers and have only one or two mishaps. Do you have mainly S.A / political recordings?

Dave

Comment

Wow---200 discs--that's quite a lot! I have some marches but more songs than marches. But I've bought them when I could find them, so there are also a lot of military songs, Herms Niel songs, Legion Condor songs and marches, SS songs, original Rundfunk recordings, radio station records, picture discs, popular music, Christmas music, and so on. I seldom play them, and used to use a 1940s hifi, but also use an older BSR turntable (with an old scratch and pop remover and dbx3bx)and a Dual turntable. I need to invest in a newer turntable, but haven't gotten around to researching the various models. Does the Adobe software include noise reduction and equalizing settings?
            Erich
            Festina lente!

Comment

Originally posted by Erich Benndorff View Post
              Wow---200 discs--that's quite a lot! I have some marches but more songs than marches. But I've bought them when I could find them, so there are also a lot of military songs, Herms Niel songs, Legion Condor songs and marches, SS songs, original Rundfunk recordings, radio station records, picture discs, popular music, Christmas music, and so on. I seldom play them, and used to use a 1940s hifi, but also use an older BSR turntable (with an old scratch and pop remover and dbx3bx)and a Dual turntable. I need to invest in a newer turntable, but haven't gotten around to researching the various models. Does the Adobe software include noise reduction and equalizing settings?
              Erich
              Hi Erich,

Yes, the Adobe software includes some, but not all, of what you need. If you would like, PM me and I can give you more info on this. Perhaps you would like to also swap some recordings?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X