X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last one:

RonR

Comment

WOW!!! THE GAU WARTHE GAU BADGE IS AS YOU DESCRIBE IT-THE MOST STUNNING OF ALL OF THE GAU BADGES. WHAT A WONDERFUL PIECE TO SHARE WITH THE FORUM. IT LOOKS NOTHING LIKE THE FAKE ONES MADE IN THE 60'S. FOR THAT TIME PERIOD, THEY WERE WELL MADE. HOWEVER, NEXT TO THIS PIECE, THERE IS NO COMPARISON.

Comment

Hi Ron,

I concur, this is a rare beast and one of the nicer designs from the period. I've never had the pleasure of handling one personally, hence my experience is limited. However this one seem to differ quite significantly from others I've seen illustrated i.g Niemann and Angolia. The major differences are the obverse design, the pin, the rivets and Nr instead of No.

Two versions are mentioned by Angolia, one with four rivets and one with eight, including a couple of other differences. Is there any info out there about the possibilty of two different versions of the 2nd type, presented in this thread and the supposed manufacturer(s)?

KR
        Peter

Comment

Gau Wartheland

Ron,

Wonderful badge and as usual wonderful photos.

Here is an example similar to the one shown in DN's book. Note that there are locking rings used in place of rivets.

Stan
          Attached Files

Comment

Gau Wartheland

Reverse.

Note that the pin is not hallmarked although I am fairly sure that the badge is made of silver.

Stan
            Attached Files

Comment

Stan & Ron,
              Wonderful badges ! Congratulations !

Comment

I have only had the opportunity to examine one of these. The wreath/backplate combination was hollow. I am saying it was made like an imperial badge with a backplate soldered to hollow wreath and eagle support backing. The entire badge was very light for it's size.

I did not undo the pin, so cannot say if it was marked or not.

Bob Hritz
                In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Gau Wartheland

My badge is fairly heavy. I'll weigh it next week and let you know what it weighs. It certainly isn't of hollow construction. I'll post some larger photos in the next few days.

Stan

Comment

Gau Wartheland

According to Nimmergut, three different types of badges were produced. The first one is the one which Ron shows and has solid rivets and is hallmarked silver, then there is the type I show with locking rings (possibly silver base but not hallmarked), then there is the hollow version which Bob mentions.

Nimmergut states that the manufacturer was Rudolf Souval, Wien.

Here are the larger photos.

Stan
                    Attached Files

Comment

Gau Wartheland

Here is the reverse. The weight is 51.3g compared to approx 31.0g for the lightweight type.

Stan
                      Attached Files

Comment

Stan's version is the only kind I've ever handled. The first thing you notice about these (aside from how cool they look), is the weight. I'm also a big fan of the Sudetenland Gau badge.

Comment

Stan, thanks for sharing this info . It's evident that there are two different types of the solid version (Ron's and your's) and a third hollow type, as mentioned by Bob. To complicate matters even further, here's a scan of a forth type, illustrated in The Medal Collector Feb. 1963. It's almost identical to your's, apart from the different position of the plough and the dates, which I suppose can be explained by the drilling of the rivet holes. The major difference is the lack of space between the eagle's body and wings.

I'm not in a position to rule out any of these types, but as a collector I find it difficult to believe Souval (if he indeed was the sole manufacturer) would produce 4 different designs of a Gau-badge, surpassed in rarity only by the Sudetenland Gau-badge. I have an open mind though and any logical elaboration that would prove me wrong, is more than welcomed

KR
                          Peter
                          Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X