No announcement yet.

White Named Gauleiter Tunic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob, a beauty! Did you have to clean it, or was it so minty when you acquired it?
    Erich
    Festina lente!

Comment

Originally posted by Erich Benndorff View Post
      Bob, a beauty! Did you have to clean it, or was it so minty when you acquired it?
      Erich

THIS IS THE CONDITION IT WAS IN WHEN I AQUIRED. IT HAS BEEN IN THIS CONDITION ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE VET.

Comment

That's great! It's rare to see white political or paramilitary uniforms and especially in this condition.
        Erich
        Festina lente!

Comment

Collar tab positions

Does that mean this guys tabs are on the wrong side? I thought the wrap on the ends of the oak leafs faced away from the neck.
          Attached Files

Comment

If you will note that the eagle does not touch the oak leaves, you will know this is is the earlier variant pattern that came between the wearing of dual oak leaves, sans eagle, and the final pattern with the eagle superimposed over the tops of the oak leaves.

The collar tabs on Bob's tunic are probably the hardest pattern of Gauleiter to find and are always constructed in gilt wire bullion and not the later bullion and rayon combination. That the oak leaves are mirror reversed, on this pattern, is correct for this type. I believe Peter Biltheimer has an example of this type collar tab. Other than Bob's tunic and Mr. Biltheimer's example, I have only seen this pattern in period photos.

Of course, the final pattern of Gauleiter collar tabs bear a gilt metal eagle and oak leaves device that is attached to the collar tab by prongs.

Bob Hritz
            In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz View Post
              If you will note that the eagle does not touch the oak leaves, you will know this is is the earlier variant pattern that came between the wearing of dual oak leaves, sans eagle, and the final pattern with the eagle superimposed over the tops of the oak leaves.

The collar tabs on Bob's tunic are probably the hardest pattern of Gauleiter to find and are always constructed in gilt wire bullion and not the later bullion and rayon combination. That the oak leaves are mirror reversed, on this pattern, is correct for this type. I believe Peter Biltheimer has an example of this type collar tab. Other than Bob's tunic and Mr. Biltheimer's example, I have only seen this pattern in period photos.

Of course, the final pattern of Gauleiter collar tabs bear a gilt metal eagle and oak leaves device that is attached to the collar tab by prongs.

Bob Hritz
              BOB-
              YOU ARE CORRECT THAT THE COLLAR TABS SHOWN ON THE PORTRAIT OF DR ALFRED MEYER ARE A LATER VERSION OF THE 4TH PATTERN POLITICAL INSIGNIA. THE TABS ON THE SPRENGER TUNIC ARE THE FIRST PATTERN GAULEITER TABS WITH THE 4TH PATTERN INSIGNIA.
              PETE BILTHEIMER PASSED AWAY ABOUT ONE MONTH AGO. I NEVER HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO MEET HIM. HE WAS AN EARLY LEADER IN THE COLLECTING AND STUDY OF POLITICAL INSIGNIA. I DO KNOW THAT HE HAD SOLD OFF MOST OF HIS COLLECTION PRIOR TO HIS PASSING.
              Last edited by Bob Coleman; 05-22-2007, 10:26 PM.

Comment

found

Hey! I found your patch and they are really RARE!!!
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ethreecee View Post
                  Hey! I found your patch and they are really RARE!!!
                  THE GREATEST ASPECT OF THE INTERNET IS THAT WE ALL CAN LEARN FROM THE COMBINED KNOWLEDGE OFTHE GROUP WHEN EGOS ARE LEFT OUT AND EXPERIENCE SHINES THROUGH. I MEAN ALL OF US-BEGINNERS AND OLD TIMERS.

Comment

Yes, these are truely rare collar tabs, as is the entire tunic.

I have often wondered, with the constant changes in uniform and insignia orders, if any ONE office or person in the Third Reich, could tell on a moment's notice, what should be worn on any given day. That would have to be the most organized man or woman in the entire Third Reich!

Bob Hritz
                    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

A fabulous tunic! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Comment

post removed
                        Last edited by Michael Miller; 05-29-2007, 06:23 PM.

Comment

MICHAEL-
                          PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY YOU HAVE REMOVED YOUR POST ON THIS THREAD. YOU MADE SEVERAL STATEMENTS I WISH TO EXPLORE WITH YOU FURTHER. WAS YOUR POST DUE TO ERROR OR PRESSURE?

Comment

Due to possible error(s). I've PM'd you.

Best wishes,
                            ~ Mike

Comment

wow Bob, what do you have tucked away that you haven't shown yet?

the tunic is outstanding and i love that ribbon bar bob! i haven't found or seen to many ribbon bars that stayed with it's coat before and for one like this is really excitng to see.

was his death to due with losing the war or other reasons, if you know?

gregory koepp

Comment

A small correction. Sprenger committed suicide, together with Frau Sprenger (by poison, presumably with the practically standard issue "Zyankali" phial) in K******246;ssen / Tirol on 7. May 1945. He and Frau Sprenger fled from the Hessen-Nassau Gauhauptstadt of Frankfurt am Main on 25.03.1945, reaching the Tirol by way of Th******252;ringen and Berchtesgaden. Their capture by U.S. troops was imminent, and Sprenger had a lot on his conscience (deportation of approximately 10,600 Jews and a vigorous "euthanasia" campaign- in which he played a key role; the infamous T-4 [code-term for the "euthanasia" program, a reference to its HQ at Nr. 4 Tiergartenstrasse, Berli] insitute Hadamar was located in his Gau), hence his pulling of the plug. But it's also possible he did it because he was just a typical Nazi fanatic equated no F******252;hrer with no future. If he feared retribution for his crimes, though- he jumped the gun. Odds are he would not have been tried by the victorious allies- unless they connected him with orders to lynch downed RAF or USAAF airmen; the average Gauleiter who lived past 1945 was tried by a German de-Nazification court, spent between 5 and 10 years in jail or a labor camp, and lived to a ripe old age.

~ Mike
                                Last edited by Michael Miller; 05-29-2007, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X