How were unit numbers assigned ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How were unit numbers assigned ?

I should know this, but how were Gau, HJ, SA, NPEA, numbers assigned? Were they by the time unit was formed, location, or some other means? Is there a published or printed list for who's who/what's what?
    Attached Files

Hj numbers
    Attached Files

Comment

It Is My Understanding That The S A Standarte Numbers Corresponded With The Regional Imperial Military Regimental Numbers. That Is Why There May Be Numerous Standartes With The Same Number From Different Area Of Germany

Comment

That's correct--in the majority of cases, SA Standarten numbers were based on the Imperial Regimental number of the garrisoned unit(s) of the area. As the SA units multiplied and new Standarten numbers were needed, a 1(00), 2(00), 3(00), etc. was added to differentiate the newly formed units. In some cases, though, there is no correspondingly numbered Imperial Regiment, so it's not a hard and fast rule.
        Erich
        Festina lente!

Comment

Marine SA- Standarten often get the numbers of the old U-boats of WWI.

Laurens

Comment

Yes, in the beginning the HJ-Banne took the number of the respective local infantry regiment. As has been said before, the massive expansion in later years no longer accommodated this. Incidentally, your HJ-Gefolgschaftsfahne is from Gefolgschaft 14 of Bann 705 Rockenhausen Gebiet 25 Westmark but I'm guessing that you already knew that

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X