demjanskbattlefield

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RZM and Maker's Codes - several puzzling questions???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RZM and Maker's Codes - several puzzling questions???

This issue came up in another thread, and as it is a different topic, I thought I should transfer it to a separate thread.

1)The symbol RZM logo, of which there were four distinct versions, was only used on non-military political items from 1935 onwards. Two of these codes were for a long time assumed to be fakes, but now, although we do see them on some faked items, they did indeed exist on real items. These include the RZM in one circle only, with OR without the cross through the Z.

2)The M+digit/+maker number code was used from 1935 onwards for these items, when all factories wishing to make political items for the NSDAP or its formations, SS, SA and the like, had to reluctantly abandon their company logos and use a number code. Each factory was prescribed a number code. However I have seen this M code on some military items as well, particularly Gebirgsjager edelweiss badges, which leaves me stumped for an answer. Did some manufacturers get confused by the regulation when it was first introduced and started putting this code on everything??? Or was it too difficult to keep changing the stamps in their presses and easier to just keep using the numbers??? Were the M coded badges all made specifically for issue only to Hitler Youth or some SS or SA formation??? I seem to keep running into this question time and time again, yet no-one has ever been able to offer a conclusive answer for me. During the transition from the company logo to the RZM code, both a manufacturers logo/full name and RZM code, are sometimes seen together on the one item. So perhaps a certain amount of confusion relating to the proper use of these codes did exist, at least for a short time during the transition period?
    It should also be noted here that although RZM codes were to be used for Party related items, they are occasionally seen on Wehrmacht hardware. A good example is the hardware on some Luftwaffe and also RLB hangers will often have RZM logos and makers codes, eg. "RZM M5/10."

3)The 3 or 2 letter code seen on some items came about as follows: until 1940 the whole factory name was used, after that codes like “cof” were used for protection in the war (allied forces would otherwise know where the factory was located > bombing). Did these initials stand for a factory name?? Or were they just "meaningless" letters from a long lost code?? I am convinced at least that CTD stands for Christian Theodore Dicke's factory. These initials appear far too often to mean anything else, and always appear on uniform accessories and insignia, the kind of which he manufactured. It therefore seems like a reasonable assumption to me that the letters on items from other factories may actually be the initials of their factory name. I could be wrong! If anyone can answer these puzzles, please feel free to jump in!

Ian
    Last edited by gebirgaussie; 09-17-2005, 01:23 PM.

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
X