My GPB Set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My GPB Set

I don't think I've posted this set before, so here it is. The pin on the 25 has been repaired, but that's fine with me. I don't know who the recipient was.

GPB Seto.jpg GPB Setr.jpg
    George

Hi George,

This set was the property of Colonel C.M Dodkin's who wrote "Orders, Decorations, Medals and Badges of the Third Reich".

It was split up and sold at auction in 1987 after his death. The large version went to Regimentals and the small version went to The Old Brigade. I reunited them and kept them for approx 20 years before selling them to Detlev.

It's made my day to see them again!

Sorry, but I was never able to find out who the recipient was.

Stan
    Last edited by Stan; 08-29-2020, 02:29 AM.

Comment

Nice set. We seems to life in a small world if you read Stan's story.

Regards, Wim
      Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Hi Wim,

Indeed we do and I often wonder what happened to awards I've sold over the years.

I never thought that I would sell this set but then another nice set together with Urkunde and interesting history turned up so I let it go.

Here is an extract from the Auction Catalogue from 1987. As you can see the badges were sold separately and the damage to the 25mm is mentioned.

I bought the 30mm immediately after the auction but had to wait until 1990 before the 25mm came up for sale.

Stan
        Attached Files

Comment

What was the auction house Stan?

Comment

I got them from Carsten Baldes, so Detlev must have passed them along to him.
            It's fascinating to read all of this! Thank you, gentlemen!
            George

Comment

Hi Joe. It was Wallis & Wallis.

The whole auction was devoted to the sale of the Dodkin Collection on 15 April 1987.

Stan

Comment

A fine matched set indeed! Does anyone have any idea who the recipient of these badges was?

Br. James

Comment

James, it would be a revelation if someone knows to whom this numbered set was issued - the ultimate - since in all other ways it has a fantastic ‘lineage!’

George, thanks for posting this. Very cool, that you and Stan came together to tell the story of this matched set in so many details. It’s wonderful to read this history, thank you both for sharing. I wish other great pieces had such spokesmen to tell their story.

John
                  Last edited by Volksturmer; 08-25-2020, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Very nice set and nice story !

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                      Hi Wim,

Indeed we do and I often wonder what happened to awards I've sold over the years.

I never thought that I would sell this set but then another nice set together with Urkunde and interesting history turned up so I let it go.

Here is an extract from the Auction Catalogue from 1987. As you can see the badges were sold separately and the damage to the 25mm is mentioned.

I bought the 30mm immediately after the auction but had to wait until 1990 before the 25mm came up for sale.

Stan
                      are the notices on the left of the sheet the hammerprices?

Comment

Yes, those were the hammer prices in 1987. The 30mm was sold to me one month after the auction by Malcolm Fisher from Regimentals for £365 and the 25mm was sold to me by Stewart Wilson from The Old Brigade in 1990 for £190.

Stan

Comment

Beautiful set. I wouldn't mind the damage either. Thanks to Stan who has a memory like an elephant there's a great story attached to it too!
                          Kind regards,
                          Giel

Check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Giels-Milit...5292741243193/

Comment

Thanks Stan for your confirmation

Comment

Beautiful set. What a story.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X