Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AH Silverware set

I bought these many years ago.

This is the vet/collector that I bought it from. Rocky Blount.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a8fqGpHgsk

Below is what I was told by someone on another forum.

Nice set of silver, while Gottlieb did make the blade the silver maker mark is for Wilkens & Sohn. The mark is a silver press. This is one of the nicer marker marks to see on AH silver as it is one of the few that have not been messed with. Even some reference books do not know this mark as they have it as unidentified.
    Though you might like to know

I have been working with silver for over twenty years now and consult for a few firms in militaria. I have been working with 6 of the remaining silver firms and Krupp on a book on WW1 and WW2 presented silver and hope to complete it mid next year.
    The AH you have is allot better than the silver with the national eagle on it anyway as this was for everyday use, allot of this was melted down after the war. There is allot of fake AH and others all over the place as well as LAH.

I tried to add to the post, but it keeps bring up an error. If anybody has any questions
    about the silver I would be happy to let them know by email if they need to contact me that the silver you have is 100% period by Wilkens & Sohn. The AH that Snyder has is the same as yours, while some of his items are questionable this style is correct. There are more people buying fake SS silver on the market right now and then trying to justify the
    marks, the problem their is that it makes other silver look bad. While the formal patterns of most TR silver has been copied, yours is one of the few that has not been done yet.
    I would also be willing if you would like to write a letter for you reguarding the silver for you if you want.

My back ground in silver started along time ago with my farther who collects English silver. During this time I started collecting military silver along with my favorite damascus swords ( this was hard on the pocket book but fun ), during this time I started researching maker marks and firms in Germany and now have quite a few friends there.
    Over the past 8 years I have worked with several engravers to keep up to date with the different methods used to engrave silver and how to spot period engraving and mounting on
    Imperial and TR silver. There are many old tricks that Imperial and earlyer silversmiths used which the fakers are not good at, this is really an art form which the modern day engravers cannot match.
    About 4 years ago I helped out Mike Little at
    Johnson Reference Books with a group they had in which there were cups, which turned out to have been done in the 1950's, this set was sent back to Germany but its still out there.
    It was now that Mike asked me if I would write a book on Presented silver of WW1 & WW2,
    I dont remember saying yes but I am doing this
    now.
    When you look at your silver take a 10xloop and look at the engraving on the handle. Look at the way the scribe marks are, how they tail off at the ends, look at the depth on the engraving on each item you will start to see the pattern. Look at the little touch highlites
    in between the main letters. Look and see the flow of the cut which the engraver did.
    Now you should have a really good idea on how
    silver engraving should look.
    Allot of TR and some Imperial items dont have this craftmanship. This is why yours is such a great set.
    I will take a few photos of some of mine and send them to you.
    It is nice to meet somebody else who likes silver.

Attached Files

Nice looking pieces with a well-known monogram design...but the one question with all of the examples of the various AH 'gift silverware' is: What is the provenance for these pieces? There are many different flatware patterns bearing a version of an AH monogram, and all of these pieces -- when original to the period -- represented gifts of all sorts sent to Hitler. Unlike the "AH Formal (State) Silverware" and the "AH Informal Pattern Silverware," which have been well-established to have been produced during the period and "liberated" from the several locations at which Hitler lived, worked or used for recreation, pieces of the variety of 'gift silverware' must possess solid provenance or they are normally concluded to be post-war fakes.

Br. James

Comment

They cannot be taken seriously, they may be period but nk one will ever know....State silver and Informal are the only two proven and indeed attractive originals.

Comment

Would have to agree with the above posts

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X