Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3rd Eagle Order - opinions please -

Howdy

I have been offered this Eagle Order by a family member. This person has made some POOR POOR POOOOOORRR purchases in the past and though it looks good to me , what concerns me is this person purchased it from a well known online outlet, I wont mention who. However this outlet as ALL outlets have had some of these slip by and ended up being fakes.

Thx in advance
    Attached Files

Original Godet.

Comment

figured as much HOWEVER just wanted to make sure, thx
      Last edited by midwaymilitaria; 05-18-2020, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Wow,, Really nice condition...
        Van

Comment

Yeah I do like it quite a bit
          This person owes me some cash so this will end up in my collection
          Not sure how long I will hold onto it

Comment

For what it's worth, I can't put my finger on it, but my intestents react in a negative way. That blurry feather pattern on the chest makes no sense. Not even natural wear would explain this feature, it is present on both sides. "Really nice condition" is not a description I would use (unless I'm a dealer that is ). At least it's safe to say the ribbon is a reproduction. Sorry if I'm perceived as being blunt.

cheers
            Peter
            Attached Files

Comment

hum

Hello .
              There seems to be a lot of wear to the wings of the bird as with the top of the swaz could be over polishing I guess .I know there were different stages of the design to this bird.
              Also the ribbon by the picture ime looking at the weave on the edge dosent look correct may we have a closer picture

Comment

oops

sorry Peter I seem to have just posted after you .
                Yes on the feathers on the wing there seems to also be extra lines of feathers that do not show on the three different ones I have

Comment

So, Peter and Ironfist, are you saying this is a repro?

Comment

hold

At this moment we are ,well I am saying pull the break on .
                    Ok for sure the ribbon is bad that is without a doubt.
                    So as to the award .
                    Well as we know only to well in this hobby there are fakers for every dam thing.
                    So it is always best to air on the side of caution .
                    I have looked at my 3 that being 3rd class and 5th class. with and without swords.
                    There are a few different anomalies that we should address.
                    The forward part of the beak.
                    The lack of ridge to the top outside of wings.
                    If you look at the first line of feathers there seems to be a second line to it that I haven't seen before
                    On the wreath it almost looks flat like the outside of wing NOT from wear (cleaning)
                    The swas enters the outside of wreath in places.
                    As I said on my first post I know that sometimes the birds did change and ime sure the quality did slightly drift a bit.
                    I will see if I can ask someone to send some pictures of theirs to see if we can come up with something .
                    Regards Pete

Comment

Member marisca lrommel is also worth getting in touch with.
                      This thread shows images of the eagle details: https://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/for...ht=eagle+order

Mil

Comment

Hold your horses Pete, being a repro is not what I was specifically saying. It’s more complicated than that.

These orders were produced from 1939-1945 and official information is scarce in views of specific features. John Angolia wrote a book 1978 in a first attempt to cover this topic and is always used as a reference in all books to come. I’m not going to elaborate on the content here, nor the value of his conclusions. The one book you’ll also find as a reference is the 1940 publication from Hessenthal&Schreiber, only dealing with the DAO Medaille. Interesting to note is the illustration of said medal (the 1937 model), although the 2nd type was introduced in conjunction with the swords May 1939. The introduction to the book was written 1.May 1940, so maybe it was an honest mistake to not include the new version. It does however show the importance of serious research, as the 2nd type until just a few years ago was referred to as the 1st type.

In the enclosed link of this thread, Jesus (Mariscal) presents a legit comment i.e. don’t compare apples with bananas. I’m not familiar with the illustrated chart of Dritte Stufe/5.Klasse, but I can assure you guys there are more types on the market. It would be arrogant of me to give an account for these “anomalies” before I have plausible explanations. Maybe I’ll never achieve this quest, but I’ll continue to comment on “anomalies” in encounter. Finally for the record, I don’t claim the cross in question being a fake, it’s the feathers on the chest I can’t figure out. That’s all folks

cheers
                        Peter

Comment

no

No I was not saying it was a repo ..I also have found an eagle that shows the very same design and flaws that I said about.
                          Mine did not have it but this one from a friend of mine does ,It shows the same flat wreath and the little extra markings under the first set of feathers ..
                          so ime not in any way saying it is a repo but the ribbon is not original.

Hold on I will try to size them and get them posted.

Comment

pics

here are the pics This I believe here the points that I raised. I said we should air on caution it didn't mean anymore than that . We should always do that IMO when different things come along.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X