EpicArtifacts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deutsches Rotes Kreuz tunc? Opinions needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deutsches Rotes Kreuz tunc? Opinions needed.

When I purchased this tunic, it was configured/put together to look like a Luft tunic. It has since been debunked as that...see thread.
    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=742608

I have since stripped all the Luft insignia and have had a couple of people inspect it who definitely believe it is period and quite possibly a German Red Cross tunic. The only markings are what you see in the pictures on the bandage pouch. It is a very heavy wool piece and is very well put together. I plan on selling it on E-stand, but I would really like to know what I have so I can properly list it.

Let me know your thoughts.

Regards,
    Kevin

Could a moderator move this to the Police and Civil Organizations Forum...I think I posted this in the wrong area.

Thanks!

Comment

Just spent the last hour and a half doing tunic searches with no results and/or conclusions. It has a lot of similarities to an M40 but the lack of the pleated pockets is puzzling. Anyone else have any opinions? I would be willing to ship this (in the US) to anyone who wants to inspect it in person if they think they can ientify it

Thanks,
      Kevin

Comment

My guess is that this is a Werkschutz tunic.

Comment

I would say something para-military..
          Perhaps indeed a Werkschutz organization? or Bahnschutz? or Luftschutz...
          Bahnschutz had blue collar facing though...and this uniform is not "blue" enough...more gray-ish...
          and Luftschutz usually wore LW related uniforms, like fliegerblouse types...

I don't think it's war time Red Cross either, their uniforms were more gray than blue-gray and had a different color facing on the collar (pigeon gray).
          This one is from my collection. I have several...
          Unless its a late war or post war variant...but it has a 1940 date...???? It's a mystery...but I am leaning towards post war (West German) DRK as a possibility...
          but the ink stamp dating does look genuine to me...
          Attached Files
          Last edited by NickG; 10-02-2014, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Hilton and Nick,
            I appreciate the comments. It is kind of a mystery. I am going to try and find some pictures of Werkschutz uniforms....

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by kpaintner View Post
              Hilton and Nick,
              I appreciate the comments. It is kind of a mystery. I am going to try and find some pictures of Werkschutz uniforms....

Kevin
              Here are some

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/cloth-...schutz-410554/

http://www.huizhang2000.com/ww2/UNIF...Protection.htm

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=446339&page=3

Last edited by NickG; 10-03-2014, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Thanks Nick

Comment

I took this tunic to the Colorado Military Collectors show today. Two dealers looked at it and both thought it was Red Cross....the one reognized it as I was walkig up to his table and commented before examing it..."Looks like you got a German Red Cross jacket".

Would a Werkschutz jacket have the bandage pouch?

Comment

That's a good question...
                    Would a wekschutz tunic still have a first air pouch?
                    (it beng a static guard non combat unit) I would say probably not....

So if that eliminates Werkschutz...probably DRK after all?
                    But why is the collar the wrong color??? The collar is not pigeon gray...
                    Note 3 examples from my collection...
                    Also the pebbling on the buttons of war time DRK uniforms was very fine...(fine dots, smoother)

If its a simplified war time design (collar matching uniform cloth), why the early 1940 date stamp?
                    Could be?
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by NickG; 10-05-2014, 09:33 PM.

Comment

The problem is that the West German DRK also used such gray uniforms...
                      Your tunic style is not covered in Angolia's book on German Red Cross-DRK (and diplomats)

Here a nice photos of DRK men evacuating wounded soldiers from a train. (Reutlingen 1945)
                      Note collar in lighter gray...
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by NickG; 10-05-2014, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Most of my Werkschutz tunics, and also the Wachdienst Norwegen tunic has first aid dressing pouches NickG.

Comment

for me could be war time DRK tunic, look at the original photo of Alpine Rescue Service on this site
                          http://www.sixtharmygroup.com/portal...ish_rel=-10000
                          Last edited by Lukasz78; 01-11-2015, 06:29 AM.

Comment

DRK Tunic

The collars wasn't always pigeon grey. Later on they were made with the same material as the tunic itself.

Comment

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X