Feld and Forst Hüter badges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gary & Dave,

Great pieces, it's always a pleasure to see them.

Comment

This association is still going today and was active during the 3rdReich, if you do a search for Tierschutz on German Ebay you'll come across yearly calanders that were produced and a few books, here is a couple that are on there now. I see no reason that there would not have been a 3rd Reich version of this pin.

Gary
      Attached Files

Comment

Gary,

After looking at and seeing better images of your four FF&H badges, the Weimar period examples appear to differ in material constrution or perhaps rather material composition than the Reich examples, is this correct? Are the Weimar examples stamped the same way and have the same pin/hinge assembly as the 1st Reich example? Just curious since I've never had a chance to observe any others than the 1st Reich pattern.

Thanks,

Dave
        Interested in the Gendarmerie - Schutzpolizei - Gemeinden - Feuerschutzpolizei - Wasserschutzpolizei - Etc. Looking For Anything Polizei Related!

Comment

Really great badges!
          The Weimar types were used up to 1934 and then they replaced by the new model. As Prussia adapted the Reichsadler in 1935 and officially in 1936 I am not sure how long these were used.
          But You are right they were attached to the rural police and were later armed with carabines to "protect" fields and forests against thiefs.
          regards Stefany

Comment

Here is a photo of my badge on my FOESTERMEISTER tunic . Dave knows the story on this one : I found it in a 'grab- badge -pile' in a box at a dealer's table at a gun show here in Kansas City like 25 years ago ! The 'garb-badge -pile ' was marked : "ANYONE BADGE FOR $5 " !!! The banner on the badge was reflective at one time . Posted by Bernd .
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Saufaenger kid View Post
              This association is still going today and was active during the 3rdReich, if you do a search for Tierschutz on German Ebay you'll come across yearly calanders that were produced and a few books, here is a couple that are on there now. I see no reason that there would not have been a 3rd Reich version of this pin.

Gary
              Very interesting Gary. Thinking again about this organisation I wonder whether your pin is in fact the TR period version anyway? How early did organisations start adding "Reichs" to the front of their name? The two images you show of the calendars show the word on the 1940's one but not on the 1900's one.....

Cheers
              Don

Comment

Originally posted by Saufaenger kid View Post
                A literal meaning would be the field and forestry guards. A rural prussian police force I believe
                Wonderful badges

Today we would call these guys some kind of Rangers.
                Field guardian (corridor servant), employed from a municipality or a basic owner to protect field and forrest. If the F. had the authority of a Polizeioffizianten, then he must have been ordered under observation of the regulations which were valid for police officers (municipal).
                After the Prussian field and forest police regulation from 01. April 1880 the confirmation of the land advice (office captain, upper office man) was strictly required; also the municipalities can order honour field guardians out of their members.
                F. and honour field guardians on practice had to lead (or had to show on demands) a service badge.

---sorry for my sloppy translation, apologize in advance ----

The badges shown are breast badges.

Comment

Feld und Forst Hüter

Gerd W., I think is on the right track about the use of the Feld und Forst Hüter badges. Since these rare badges were posted here a couple of days ago, I contacted a Kriminalpolizei captain in North Germany whom I have known for many years. In my opinion he is one of the most knowledgeable persons alive concerning the early police badges and warrant discs of the German States. He published a book picturing many of the early badges and warrant discs in 1990. Those pictured covered the time from 1810 up to the post WWII era.
                  This was his reply when I asked him about the Feld und Forst Hüter badges; "These breast-badges were used by municipal officers of smaller cities to protect the municipal wood and fields (poaching, illegal lumberjack). They had no uniform and used only this breast badge when in duty."
                  Don Bible

Comment

I believe this subject was discussed at length on Houston Coates' forum over at GD.com, but perhaps the older thread was nuked. While the Feld- und Forsthuters were part of Prussia for decades, the badges being discussed were rather recent and totally III Reich. They were created by order of the Prussian Interior Ministry on August 10, 1933. The original style Prussian flying eagle was to be soon replaced by the Pro Patria style Prussian eagle introduced by Goring with swastika, sword and lightening bolts incorporated in the design.

The regulations called for both Feld-und Forsthuters and Ehrernfeldhuters to wear no uniform. As a symbol of their official position, they were issued either the police star as a badge or a green armband with the wording "Feld-und Forst-Huter" in centered on each side of a white metal police star. There is no explanation if the metal badge on the armband is the same as the police badge or a different style. In addition, employing authority could equip the Huters with a service cap after the style of the Gemeindepolizei officials.

Those employed were authorized to be armed with a walking staff and if locally required, a police truncheon or blade sidearm. In certain circumstances, a handgun was issued according to all laws and regulations.

The F.W. Assmann & Sohne catalog of the later 1930s illustrated both the older style Prussian eagle as welll as a new style shown for the Ehren-Feldhuter. Both the badges are described as an arm badge with hinge pin. Has anyone seen these badges with another means of attachment? Perhaps loops similar to the cartouche box stars?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Gentlemen, I saw this thread, and am always delighted to see the many different areas of collecting. I have an opportunity, albeit, a short one, to pick up this car pendant. I don't want to overpay but I think it might interest one of you. Now what makes me wonder if it's for this group is that the color is black, not a forest green. Your thoughts would be welcome.

Comment

Brian, the flag you are looking at is one of the various car flags issued for different levels of the Prussian State Government (as indicated by the Goring designed Pro Patria Eagle) after 1933 and before the creation of newer government car flags. I discussed some of these in my article on Police Car Flags printed in Bender's "The Military Advisor" a few years ago. The flag has nothing to do with the Feld und Forst-Hutter group other than bearing the Prussian Wappen.

Comment

Thank you... I had hoped to ID the utiization of this particular flag. I'm at least closer to knowing the who, Prussian Gov't post 1933. Now I just have to determine the Black trim, white background combination.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian S View Post
                            Thank you... I had hoped to ID the utiization of this particular flag. I'm at least closer to knowing the who, Prussian Gov't post 1933. Now I just have to determine the Black trim, white background combination.
                            Brian,

Black and white are the Prussian colors.

Comment

Yes, thank you. But I was wondering if this 'always a Prussian car pendant' has color combinations that link it to a particular use. Police, etc. The gov't just seemed to never put out general use items. Color was a key to dept.

Comment

Well in this case Brian, color was not a key to the department. The shape of the flag/pennant and configuration of the eagle in relation to the pennant indicated the level of authority. I believe I pictured yours in my article in "The Military Advisor" as I have one like it. But the physical designs were established by decree to indicate the level of authority from a Landrat or Polizei Direktor up to Goring himself as his flag incorporated the eagle.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X