Strange RAD pic, Sunwheel and volunteer shield on sleeve ? ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris Pittman View Post
    I believe that is a Hindenburg cross ribbon.
    Yes, I think you are right. On close up the red stripe seems as thick as the black stripes. And a Hindy goes well with the EK ribbon.

/peter

Comment

In the photo the German from Deutsche Aufbaudienst (1934).

Comment

when you mean the photo from post 1: No. This is no Aufbaudienst, but as what I did explain in an earlier post.

Comment

Wilhelm, hello. You are right, I was mistaken, it is Deutscher Arbeitsdienst.
          Thank you.

Comment

In volume 5 from the series "Headgear of Hitler's Germany", pages 176, 198 and 199 more photographs are shown with DAD collar-patches. With the captions information is given!
            Last edited by wilhelm Saris; 01-05-2014, 04:47 AM.

Comment

I looked at a photoalbum today with this DAD Insignia etc was shown on the collars and i did a little search on it.
              The "Deutscher Arbeitsdienst" was a own organisation in the "Banat Region"..today serbia,romania and hungary.. but the highest leader was the RAD leader of this region.
              There is very very little to.be.found on this organisation.

Der Deutsche Arbeitsdienst im Banat - DAD - wurde 1942 durch eine Verordnung des Volksgruppenführers der Deutschen Volksgruppe im Banat und Serbien errichtet. Die Führung oblag dem Arbeitsdienstführer der Deutschen Volksgruppe im Banat, der in der Ausübung seiner Befehlsgewalt nur dem Volksgruppenführer und nicht der RAD-Führung verantwortlich war.
              Der DAD war weder eine Gliederung des RAD noch ist er als militärähnlicher Dienst i.S. § 3 BVG anzusehen, so dass eine Berücksichtigung als Ersatzzeit ausscheidet.

Comment

here a few more photos from a rather seldom seen insignia...
                Attached Files

Comment

kk
                  Attached Files

Comment

Photos must be about summer 1933 through early 1934. The men are from Saxonia and do belong to the Dresdner Arbeitsdienst (which was nazi), one of the numerous Freiw. Arbeitsdienst-groups. Most of their camps were in the Saxonia area.

It does not mean Deutscher Arbeitsdienst, nor Danziger Arbeitsdienst as is often said. Deutscher Arbeitsdienst was a magazine; Danziger Arbeitsdienst, which in fact was named as Freiwilliger Arbeitsdienst Danzig.
                    Last edited by wilhelm Saris; 05-09-2014, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wilhelm Saris View Post
                      Photos must be about summer 1933 through early 1934. The men are from Saxonia and do belong to the Dresdner Arbeitsdienst (which was nazi), one of the numerous Freiw. Arbeitsdienst-groups. Most of their camps were in the Saxonia area.

It does not mean Deutscher Arbeitsdienst, nor Danziger Arbeitsdienst as is often said. Deutscher Arbeitsdienst was a magazine; Danziger Arbeitsdienst, which in fact was named as Freiwilliger Arbeitsdienst Danzig.
                      This is interesting but a little bit hard to follow.

The above pictures are 'Dresdner Arbeitsdienst' ?

Are they ('Dresdner Arbeitsdienst' and 'Freiwilliger Arbeitsdienst Danzig' both regional elements of the same ogranisation (Deutsche Arbeitsdienst/FAD/NSAD) ?

Forgive the stupid question but I have seen both Deutsche Arbeitsdienst and NS-Arbeitsdienst badges previously and this is a bit of a grey area for me. There is an article here :

http://www.axishistory.com/books/167...sarbeitsdienst

which seems to say that NSAD is in fact another name for FAD.

The history of the Reichsarbeitsdienst (RAD) began in 1931 when Chancellor Heinrich Brüning on 5 June 1931 authorized the formation of state-sponsored labor camps to help against the unemployment, the Freiwilliger Arbeitsdienst (FAD). These camps were not meant to be political in any way, but as they were controlled by the individual states, their use varied greatly across the country, some where even used for military training by the Freikorps (a clear violation of the Treaty of Versailles).
                      Following the establishment of the FAD, other similar organisations was founded by various organisations such as the Stahlhelm and the NSDAP.

When Hitler was made Chancellor 1933 he soon appointed Konstantin Hierl as Secretary of State for the Labor Service, the control of which at this time were transferred from the states to the central government. There was considerable confusion in regard to the name of the labor service at this time, it was sometimes referred to as the FAD, sometimes as the Nationalsozialistischer Arbeitsdienst (NSAD) and sometimes as the Arbeitsdienst.
                      I read before that FAD /NSAD formed out of an amalgamation of Catholic/Religious work groups which were abundant in the Weimar era, a myriad of local arbeistdienst were essentially put under the one umbrella.

The same cap insignia as in the pictures above is also shown here in both cap and collar insignia on these pictures previously attributed as NSAD (from the Bad Pyrmont area, possibly circa 1932-1933) ;

Collar and Cap

Collar only

Comment

The shown DAD collar patch is for "Dresdner Arbeitsdienst"; the spade was in use by the tens and tens FAD-groups, as this is a general name for them (in fact all different labor service groups were FAD). The spade so was worn also by the DAD. Where the name Deutscher Arbeitsdienst comes from, wonders me, as in original documentation it is never mentioned at all. I think it is based upon an error, made after the war!

The shown photos from your post (post 25) are without any doubt from the "Verein zur Umschulung freiwilliger Arbeitskräfte" (the nazi's), which existed from 1931 through 1934. Another nazi FAD-group were the "Staatlicher Anhaltischer Arbeitsdienst", which existed 1932-1933. They were said the embryo for the later RAD, but this is nazi historical falsification.

The NSAD were this Verein and the Stahlhelm labor-service in 1934-1935, when all grew into one, the later RAD.
                        In its early years 1932-1934 the voluntary labour service was quite difficult. In some ways it is dealt with in volume 5 from "Headgear of Hitler's Germany" where the many FAD-organizations are dealt with and is explained by me in the best possible way.
                        Last edited by wilhelm Saris; 05-10-2014, 02:12 AM.

Comment

Many thanks for the information Wilhelm.

Comment

So after this thread was created 14 years ago I'll add this one I just picked-up

Comment

Sorry I forgot to add that the below photo was taken at Christmas, 1933.

Comment

Did anyone else notice the small "dot" that appears in both photos of the Sonnenrad insignia? Strange...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 9 users online. 0 members and 9 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X