Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Group picture from 1945

Hello,

I just came across this late war photo. Unusual mix of uniforms...

Would anyone know what “R.R (Slow)” means?

Could it be Slovakia or Slovenia?

Any info will be much appreciated!

Lohengrin
    Attached Files

Originally posted by lohengrin View Post
    Hello,

I just came across this late war photo. Unusual mix of uniforms...

Would anyone know what “R.R (Slow)” means?

Could it be Slovakia or Slovenia?

Any info will be much appreciated!

Lohengrin
    Hello, IMHO not R.R. but B.B. = Banská Bystrica, Slovakia

Comment

Very interesting mix of soldiers! I wonder what unit they belonged to.
      I'm collecting anything related to the towns Castricum and Bakkum during WWII.
      Also soldbucher from 116pzdiv. And 1944-1945 eastfront pockets, kampfgruppe and Oder front.
      My website: Gotrick.nl

Comment

Originally posted by kuratorium View Post
        Hello, IMHO not R.R. but B.B. = Banská Bystrica, Slovakia
        That definitely makes a lot of sense!! Thank you!!

Comment

Originally posted by Admiraal View Post
          Very interesting mix of soldiers! I wonder what unit they belonged to.
          I thought so as well... Wehrmacht infantry, panzer and GJ and a lot of Luftwaffe... if this is indeed Banska Bystrica, this picture was taken post the National Uprising, which was swiftly defeated. It seems that the Russians liberated the city 26/3/1945...

Comment

Crazy-out-there-guess: a late war Feldjagerkorp unit? (But didn't they need a Iron Cross Second Class at minimum?) Maybe they took off the gorgets and any armbands...

The Black wrapped panzer Speiss is what is really confusing to me; outside of that it could be any late war infantry unit with Luftwaffe drafts.

I'm not noticing any Gebirgsjagers (no edelweisses that I can see)? But there's A LOT to look at.
            Last edited by paintbrush; 01-19-2020, 09:42 PM.

Comment

I agree, B.B. stands for Banska Bystrica. Really interesting picture! Maybe these all these went through some action and wanted to have a group picture to remember.. hmm..

Comment

As stated in the text of the picture, its the staff of an Abteilung. The soldiers probably had different skills and got put together. For example the panzer guy is a Hauptfeldwebel (see the stripes on his sleeve). And i can see at least one trade-badge (NCO, second from the left. lower line).
                I'm collecting anything related to the towns Castricum and Bakkum during WWII.
                Also soldbucher from 116pzdiv. And 1944-1945 eastfront pockets, kampfgruppe and Oder front.
                My website: Gotrick.nl

Comment

What a great collection of uniforms.

Tom

Comment

Just a minor point, the rings indicate his Spiess appointment, not his actual NCO rank.

That's what throws me off - why a panzer Spiess would be with this lot, even if as an instructor. I wish we could see the trade badge on the other guy, for a clue. Also, so far all I can see is Infantry Assault Badges, no Panzer ones.

I think I also see the WW1 spange & ribbon on the three officers (1 Luft./2 Heer) in the middle of the front row.

Additionally, some are wearing Calvary breeches it appears (at least 5 in the front row). And one officer, third from right in the front row, has maybe a General Assault Badge or even maybe Anti-partizan? I also think the officer has a DAK cap in the front row - it is very faded, even compared to other light caps in the pic.

At any rate, great pic - Thank you for posting it.
                    Last edited by paintbrush; 01-23-2020, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X