Clear All

High Ranking Golden Pheasant POW.

From a grouping belonging to a 53rd Welsh veteran, anyone recognise this GP
    Attached Files

Arthur Seyss-Inquart

Comment

An unhappy Seyss-Inquart.

Comment

Thanks for that, would make sense being found in the belongings of a 53 Welsh veteran as there was also found a large number of photos regarding the 53rd from Normandy and through the war, i belive taken by a photographer who eneded up with the production of there history printed in Holland in 45.

Comment

A really great photo, apparently taken on the day Dr. Artur Seyss-Inquart was arrested in Hamburg. He wears the uniform of his responsibility -- Reichskommissar for the Occupied Netherlands -- a responsibility for which he was hanged as one of the major offenders among the ten defendants sentenced to death at the end of the Major Process of the Nuremberg War Criminal Trials.

Br. James

Comment

Super photo

Comment

Took a second look for me. It is indeed. Not happy at all. It is amazing that more didn't take their lives when they realised they'd have to pay for what they'd done.

Comment

Isn't that Mr. Bean back there?

Comment

There is a newsreel on Youtube with that exact moment on it.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by pauke View Post
                    Isn't that Mr. Bean back there?
                    Nah, it's the British actor, Leo Genn.

Comment

Here's the photo on the BBC's site:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peo...a7404725.shtml

According to the info there, it was taken in Hamburg on 4 May 1945. The Brits are identified as John Suffolk and Glyn Davis.

Comment

Captured by a couple of Welsh soldiers as he was crossing a bridge I belive, the Welsh connection as I've mentioned before might place the photographer who took this image , one of a large series of photos taken of the 53rd div since Normandy as he was imbedded with them, but his name slips me at the moment.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X