How to get a Bulge grouping when you don't collect in that area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get a Bulge grouping when you don't collect in that area

As you all know we've just had the 75th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge and as many of you will also know, i collect documents exclusively with a connection to Norway and Finland. So, how do i get a Bulge related group whilst still keeping within my area of collecting when the two are seemingly not related?

The answer is, keep your eyes open and wait a long time

Last week i finally managed it, only a partial group unfortunately but i bridges the invasion of Norway with the Battle of the Bulge perfectly.

The key was to find a grouping to the 560 Volks-Grenadier Division. Formed in SE Norway using a cadre of around 2000 men from other units stationed in the country by and order dating to 28th July 1944 it was far from complete and was missing much of its equipment when it was ordered to the continent in Nov.44. Still understrength it was allocated to Manteuffel's 5 Pz.Armee and together with the 116 Pz.Div. 'Windhund' made up the LVIII Pz.Korps.
    The understrength 1130 Gren.Rgt. came up against elements of the 112th Inf.Rgt. of the 28th Inf.Div. and was heavily engaged in the fighting from the beginning.

Accounts of the Bulge mention that the 560 VGD was a 'green' formation with no previous combat experience. That is certainly true, even for the experienced 'veterans' who had come from other units in Norway like Hauptfeldwebel Walper, his last combat experience had been almost 5 years earlier during the invasion of Norway when he was part of Inf.Rgt. 345 of the then 196 Inf.Div. he survived the torpedoing by HMS Triton and sinking of his transport ship off the coast of Sweden whilst heading for Oslo, many of his comrades in the regiment were not so fortunate. Later, IR 345 was used to create the 199 Inf.Div. and Walper was sent to North Norway until the summer of 44.

So, a nice little group to a soldier who took part in both the invasion of Norway and the Battle of the Bulge, the Germans first and arguably last major offensives in the West.
    Attached Files
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Very nice Simon, made me read the whole 560VGD history.

So the signature should be Generalmajor Rudolf Bader ?
    sigpic

-=Always looking for French cadets infos at Shaw Field South Carolina 1944=-

Comment

Yes indeed, so you'll know he was in hospital during the first days of the offensive.

I have the AOK Norwegen/20 Geb.Armee archives and they include the order for the division's formation and an overview of how many men, including their job, each of the three Korps in Norway at the time was required to send in order to form the division

Here's a map from SE Norway from Aug. 44 showing the new division's stab forming at Moss and from the start of the Ardennes offensive showing the division's starting position
      Attached Files
      Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Very nice group Simon!
        And really cool the link between the invasion of Norway and the Battle of the Bulge.
        Congrats on acquiring this one.

Kind regards,

AW

Comment

Hello Simon !

Very nice and very interesting group.
          Many thanks for showing and the detailed explanations !

What I really like with this group (besides the special connection Norway - Ardennes) is that you have only two docs,
          but it is possible to reconstruct most of his career, including his survival of sinking his transport ship !

There is an interesting entry on his Stammrollen-Auszug :
          Abgang zu : "Abgabe Quecksilber"

Was this a codename for the group of soldiers that had to be transferred by each corps ?

Best regards,

Archi

Comment

Great set and research, Simon. It's interesting to think of the make-up of this unit, as a collection/combination of veterans and occupation types from Norway, fighting the green replacements and battered veterans (of Normandy and the Huertgen Forest) of the 28th Infantry Division at the Bulge.

Comment

Nice group Simon!

Jeremy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X