KVK 1st Class Document: Fake or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KVK 1st Class Document: Fake or not?

Here is a scan of a recent acquisition, purchased on the understanding that if it is not a period, authentic piece then it will be taken back. I am referring to a KVK 1st Class with Swords award document apparently awarded to a "Volksturmmann" (sic) which is dated late in the war (2.Feb.1945) when the "Volkssturm" was active.

I have researched both the Caldwell Stewart and Forman references as well as threads on this Forum for information to determine the authenticity of this document. If it is genuine, then the late-war issue might well explain my several concerns about some of the unusual variations as outlined below. However, I remain to be convinced and request comments and feedback from Forum members, to help me make a decision, please.

For convenience of comparison I am also posting what I believe to be an authentic KVK 2nd Class award document from my collection.

1. Beginning with the KVK 2nd Class w/swords award document (fairly certain to be original):

1 a. Type: 1942 Army issue
    1 b. Size: DIN A5 (approx. 150mm x 210mm)
    1 c. Paper: lighter weight, more pliable stock
    1 d. Colour: creamy, off-white
    1 e. Folds: easily folds (although this document has not been folded)
    1 f. Print: thicker or "fatter" lettering; two lines creating blank areas where details are filled-in (name, place, date)
    1 g. Ink Stamp: black ink
    1 h. Facsimile signature

2. KVK 1st Class award w/swords (up for verification):

2 a. Type: 1942 Army issue style, but dated 1945 (was the early style used then?)
    2 b. Size: approx. 140mm x 127mm (smaller than DIN A5 but still too large to be DIN A6 - is this an acceptable size variation?)
    2 c. Paper: heavier, less pliable, card-type stock
    2 d. Colour: light reddish-brown (perhaps artificially aged?)
    2 e. Folds: stiff and don't return all the way to what appear to be original fold marks (possible made to look that way, ie. to deceive?)
    2 f. Print: slightly thinner lettering; no printed line for recipient's name; no printed line line for place and date - rather a typewriter-created line (using the asterix key - is this a known, acceptable practice?)
    2 g. Ink Stamp: light blue ink (Note: I have observed black, dark blue, green and purple ink stamps on other original documents)
    2 h. Signature: appears hand-signed in blue ink (possibly ballpoint pen, which - if so - is bad news)

Note: I believe that the German word "Volkssturm" correctly contains two "s" letters to be spelled correctly. On this document, both the typed word "Volksturmmann" as well as the ink stamp lettering "Deutscher Volksturm" use only on letter "s". Is this incorrect usage?

Perhaps too many "red flags" on this one? What do you think?

Thanks,
    John
    Attached Files

KVK 1st Class:
    Attached Files

Comment

There are a couple of points I am not warm to, mostly the typing of the unit, as well as some of the other concerns you have.If you can get your money back, go for it. Unless this unit is the centerpoint of your collecting interests, you can get a KVK 1 Urkunde in a number of places.

On the other hand, as somebody once told me - there is probably more variety to the lowly KVK urkunden than any other....
      Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
      ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Keinglück??!! You are aware that this means 'No luck' aren't you? I'm not German or Austrian so i may be wrong here but would anyone have that surname?

The signing officer\authority is not senior enough, if it's ballpoint pen then forget it. I don't like the use of KDO either which is not the abreviation for kommandeur.

I don't care for the unit designation either but i don't have my books to hand. From memory i don't think the VS were organised into divisions.

I don't know why and i'm not having a go but way too many people put all their faith in the characterisitics of the doc itself and completely ignore it's content.
        Last edited by Simon O.; 05-04-2005, 01:54 AM.
        Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon orchard
          Keinglück??!! You are aware that this means 'No luck' aren't you? I'm not German or Austrian so i may be wrong here but would anyone have that surname?
          This is indeed very strange. I have checked the german online telephonebook, but there doesn´t seem to be any Kleinglücks.

Gerd

Comment

I thought I remember seeing that one... And I found it:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?p=121620

The first one is much better looking, but always be warned, the cheap fake might be offered at the same time to give more authenticity to the better-made fakes.

Comment

Thank you very much for the feedback, which is greatly appreciated. Simon and Akira - you chaps really know your stuff!

Regarding the name of the recipient, I know that this is a strange-sounding name when translated, and a soldier would certainly not wish for that name going into battle. However, having lived in Germany I recall having seen some rather odd combinations of words for surnames which, when translated, were quite amusing, so the name "Keingluck" did not bother me as much as some of the other details about the document and it's content.

Regarding the ink stamp, the related thread provided is most interesting. Close inspection of my document does seem to indicate that it is "Deutscher Volksturm", but the mis-spelling of "Volkssturm" (with 2 letter "s") bothers me most about this point. This is surely a detail that would have been caught in the production of an official "Stempel", and would not likely have been repeated in the typing.

The first award document (KVK 2nd Class) was acquired at a different time and not in conjunction with the KVK 1st Class one.

I have very carefully studied the hand-signed ink signature and, although I am no expert, am still thinking that this could well be done with ball-point or a more modern-type of ink pen.

All things considered, I have decided to return this document for a refund. Thanks once again to all who contributed. This thread will hopefully be of interest and assistance to other Forum members who read it.

Regards,
              John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X