Show us your impressed/confiscated vehicle photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Bill,

Here's a photo of an impressed Wanderer W 23 Convertible with a civilian numberplate (4X-389H) which isn't a German one. Notice flaming canonball symbol on front guard.

Best regards,
    Larrister
    Attached Files

Comment

Bill, Here is one recent purchase...
      Attached Files

Comment

Another photo from my collection showing a couple of civilian cars amongst military vehicles.
        Attached Files

Comment

there are also civilians on the photo...maybe it is still a civilian car?? Cheers, Torsten.

Originally posted by Larrister
          Hi Bill,

I just noticed that the front car's numberplate (255 287) is not a German one so it must have been confiscated in one of the occupied countries.

Larrister

Comment

Originally posted by torstenbel
            there are also civilians on the photo...maybe it is still a civilian car?? Cheers, Torsten.
            This could be true when the photo was taken but seeing that there are members of the Heer present and some of the other vehicles are probably impressed this car wouldn't have stayed civilian for long. The numberplate looks non-German to me so the photo may have been taken in a neighbouring country.

Larrister

Comment

This could be true when the photo was taken but seeing that there are members of the Heer present and some of the other vehicles are probably impressed this car wouldn't have stayed civilian for long. The numberplate looks non-German to me so the photo may have been taken in a neighbouring country.

Larrister
              of course either theory is possible and there is no way of ever finding out for sure... are there any reference works or comparison table or anything like that on pre-1945 European car registrations??...btw, I think that number plate in question here might be Danish...?? Cheers, Torsten.

Comment

Car

Unknown car.
                I belive that it is a Fiat 1100

Comment

Bresa:

Are you referring to photo 153, 177 or 183??
                  Cheers
                  Bill

Comment

Hello Bill,

Here is another photo from my collection showing an Opel Olympia and kubelwagen sporting the 1 Panzer symbol. Does anyone know what the writing on the back says? General....?

Larrister
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hello Bill,

Time to revive this thread. Here's another photo showing a column of civilian cars belonging to the Wehrmacht. Fortunately there is writing on the back which translates as: "Motorized escape in Vierzon" (France) I guess that the column is evacuating the town in the wake of the Allied advance through France in 1944.

Cheers,
                      Larrister
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Bill,

You still out there?

Larrister

Comment

Evening Larrister:

Yes, still here. I have been spending the last 1 1/2 days trying to organize my 13,000 photos on my hard drive and refiling the whole lot. Am about 20% done so far.

As to your photo: Other than that the second vehicle is an Opel, I really have a feeling that this may be an evacuation during the invasion of France rather than at the end of the war. The vehicles are all almost as new, seem to have civilian registration plates and just do not seem to fit the panic at the end of the conflict in France. Do you have any date or other information for the photo??

Cheers
                          Bill

Comment

Hi Bill,

You could be right about the column of cars being a civilian evacuation. One thing though, the photo was taken by a Wehrmacht soldier which means that at least some elements of the Wehrmacht must have been in the town before the evacuation. Knowing the Wehrmacht's penchant for confiscating any type of vehicle that was useful to them would they have allowed all these vehicles to leave town? The second car looks like a MB, will have to look through some of my books to try and identify some of the others. There is no other writing on the back.

Cheers,
                            Larrister

Comment

Larrister:

As always we both have valid points. I was concerned about what seemed to be children standing on the left side which would make me think it was not the late war period and, as stated, the condition of the vehicles. On the other hand the vehicle mix would tend more towards your conclusion.

The first vehicle is, I believe, a Renault which I will try to pin down tomorrow. The second vehicle is very definitely an Opel, the third is French, as yet not completely known to me and the fourth is German also still a question mark.

To be on your side of the question, those German vehicles would not have been available to French civilians trying to "get out of Dodge" so I think you are more correct than I.

In any case, another most worthy photo from your vast collection. Thanks as always.
                              Cheers
                              Bill

Comment

Bill,

Here's another for your thread. An Opel Kapitan convertible marked WH but still sporting civilian plates

Cheers,
                                Larrister
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 28 users online. 0 members and 28 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X