RARE Bulgarian Assault Gunner Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RARE Bulgarian Assault Gunner Photos

While still fighting on the side of the Germans. Possibly trained at Kampfschule NISCH.

ANY / ALL solid information about this unit most appreciated.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

According to Kaloyan Matev's book "The Armoured Forces of the Bulgarian Army 1936-45". If these photographs are of troops at Niš then it will be impossible to say which of the two Bulgarian Assault Gun Detachments they belong to because the StuG III's at Niš belonged to the School and never left there until the Germans stole them back in August 1944. The troops just came to the School and used the five StuG III from the first delivery batch which were allocated to the School. The book does not the Bulgarian miliatry registration numbers for these vehicles but I can't see any such in your photographs.

Comment

Excellent Information

Thankx for taking the time to post this Alanmccoubrey...

Comment

Cool photos and interesting info as well. Thanks gentlemen

Comment

These are so interesting photos!

Incidentally, I have an album of a Burgarian Panzer unit trained by Germans. Are these photos yours Hundstaffel?
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Akira Takiguchi View Post
              These are so interesting photos!

Incidentally, I have an album of a Burgarian Panzer unit trained by Germans. Are these photos yours Hundstaffel?

A friend of mine asked me to post these photos on his behalf.

Comment

Thanks, please pass my appreciation to him for showing these gems.

Comment

Originally posted by Akira Takiguchi View Post
                  Thanks, please pass my appreciation to him for showing these gems.

Comment

Hello !

Many thanks for posting these really rare photos and all the additional information .

I hope its not too late to add some info on Kampfschule Nisch and also to ask some questions.

The school was obviously raised in first half 1943, with the task to train Bulgarian soldiers with German combat tactics
                    and on German equipment. Kommandeur should have been Oberst Lothar Zimmermann (not clear for how long).
                    https://www.tracesofwar.com/persons/...-Dr-Lothar.htm

The first scan shows the organization of the school. Every important branch of a German Inf.Div. is covered,
                    and in addition, there was a "Panzer- und Sturmgeschütz-Lehrkommando", consisting of 5 StuG, 5 Pz IV,
                    a workshop platoon and also a Pz.-Bergezug (tank recovery platoon).

The only other info I found on this Kdo. is from a book by Kurowski on StuG units :
                    According to him, the Pz.-StuG-Lehr-Kdo. had a strength of 3 officers and 40 NCO/EM (2nd scan).
                    (I am not sure, how correct this info is, certainly 1943 is a typo for 1944).

The school was probably dissolved in August/September 1944.

What I would be interested in (and maybe others as well) :
                    What happened to the StuG and tanks of the school when it was dissolved ?
                    Kurowski says they were handed over to the Bulgarians and Alanmccoubrey says the Germans "stole them back".
                    Does anybody know more details ?

Perhaps of interest : a link to photos, related to this school :
                    https://www.weitze.net/militaria/10/...4__333110.html

And finally, I found this info how many StuG III were delivered to Bulgaria :
                    https://books.google.de/books?id=akc...lgaria&f=false
                    Does this mean, that both Bulgarian StuG units at Sofia and Plovdiv received 25 StuG each and that the 5 StuG at Nisch are the other 5 ones ?
                    (Somehow implying that all the equipment of Kampfschule Nisch belonged to the Bulgarian Army, only the teachers were Germans ?!)

Best regards,

Archi
                    Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,961 at 05:23 PM on Today.

Working...
                    X