Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is a "KV-machine"

Hi-

In Armin Boettger's book, To the Gate of Hell, he mentions in several places "KV-machines" which he encountered in the late part of the war in the Baltic region where he had been posted as a courier.

"In Zintern, as elsewhere, there were naturally KV-machines, but as a courier, absent every day from the barracks, I was never available to appear for medical examination."

"In the depot, we waited in fear of a KV-machine, or whatever way it was being done here..."

"When I returned to the barracks 24 hours later, my colleagues said 'You lucky bastard, while you were playing sentry a KV-machine was here.' Apparently many of the soldiers stationed at the barracks were written up Fit For The Front and sent their forthwith."

I also think AV-machine[s] are mentioned in the book but cannot find the passage.

Is this slang (KV-Maschin/) for a medical officer who examined military personnel for frontline service in these desperate times for the Germans or...?

Thanks.

You have the correct idea. When examined and declared "KV" you are fit for military service.

Comment

k. v. = kriegsverwendungsfähig
      a. v. = arbeitsverwendungsfähig
      g. v. = garnisonsverwendungsfähig

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
      X