Combat Photos value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Combat Photos value?

I saw some combat photos from a vets son, and I am trying to figure out if the price he is asking is OK. These are pics from the Phillipines, and there are some pretty gruesome scenes. Some other pics of the locals, and 2 pics from the signing of the surrender on the Missouri. The one picture of the signing has MacArthur in it, which he claims is one of a kind. These photos are all original.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks, Paul

Originally posted by Paul M
    I saw some combat photos from a vets son, and I am trying to figure out if the price he is asking is OK. These are pics from the Phillipines, and there are some pretty gruesome scenes. Some other pics of the locals, and 2 pics from the signing of the surrender on the Missouri. The one picture of the signing has MacArthur in it, which he claims is one of a kind. These photos are all original.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks, Paul
    Paul In my opinion I would be leery of original surrender photos. I have a few of the same scenes in my great uncles and granfathers photo albums.. I am not saying they aren't unique photos just be careful.... Same goes for the gruesome pics. My grandfather was for the most part rear echelon and he had a number of dead japanese in his albums.. I get the feeling some photos were "massed" produced to be avaiable to soldiers as momentos... Mike

Comment

Mike is right. Some photos were produced on large scale and given or sold to the soldiers to put them in their albums, together with their own, less spectacular photos. Is the soldier himself posing in the spectacular pics ? Then of course these could be unique photos.

Comment

Photos

Thanks for the replies.
        Most of the combat pics have the soldier in them, at least that is what his
        son says. Can anyone place a value on these?
        Thanks, Paul

Comment

Paul, that is very difficult to tell without seeing the photos ...
          Perhaps there's a possibility that you could show us some scans ?

Comment

Paul, Tim is correct. It will be hard to "value" them with out the benefit of veiwing them. Please if you can post some scans. IMO US photos are undervalued you don't see the big money unless there are named war planes, tanks, enemy and allied, etc. How many photos are in this grouping and what is he asking for them? Mike

Comment

photos

Unfortunately, he was not too keen on me scanning or taking pics of the pics! There were about 45 photos altogether. The breakdown was about 20 combat pictures, 12 local people pictures, Some pictures of buildings in occupied Japan and the 2 from the Missouri.
              The combat pics include a shot of a bunker on the beachhead with dead japs and body parts- a destroyed jap tank/bodies-a field after a bonzai charge-a number of pics of city fighting and bodies- an interesting picture of 4 jap prisoners talking to a couple of GIs, and the next picture is of the prisoners dead! - and a picture of a GI holding a japs severed head!
              He is looking for $250.00 for the lot.
              Thanks, Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul M
                Unfortunately, he was not too keen on me scanning or taking pics of the pics! There were about 45 photos altogether. The breakdown was about 20 combat pictures, 12 local people pictures, Some pictures of buildings in occupied Japan and the 2 from the Missouri.
                The combat pics include a shot of a bunker on the beachhead with dead japs and body parts- a destroyed jap tank/bodies-a field after a bonzai charge-a number of pics of city fighting and bodies- an interesting picture of 4 jap prisoners talking to a couple of GIs, and the next picture is of the prisoners dead! - and a picture of a GI holding a japs severed head!
                He is looking for $250.00 for the lot.
                Thanks, Paul
                Paul, This is one is from my Grandpa's album. The reason I am posting this is I have seen this before so I know it is one of those massed produced photos and want to let you see it just in case this one is the same as the one you saw... Mike
                Last edited by R MICHAEL; 04-25-2005, 11:35 AM.

Comment

here is another from same album of the surrender on the mighty MO..
                  Attached Files

Comment

Paul,

Not to degrade the historical importance of photos taken by the vet in WW2 but photos taken in the Pacific are less inviting compared to the European theater of operations. Therefore they do not fetch as much and without even seeing the photos in question the price tag on them seems to be a bit high for the amount of photos being offered. Just my two cents worth. Bill

Comment

Photos

Mike,
                      Thats the one! I guess this GI wasn't the great photographer he thought
                      he was!
                      Bill,
                      I agree, I thought the price was steep, especially if they are not one of a kind!
                      Thank you all for the education.
                      Paul

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X