Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small group of photos related to Africa with questions

Hello !

I have a small group of 7 photos, that came with a SB of a soldier who was with 15. and 21. Pz.Div. in Africa.
    I sorted them in 3 groups, each of which were probably developed by the same foto-studio (or around the same time ?).

I am still very poor in analyzing photos. The questions I would hope to get some help on :
    He was likely captured in Tunis 1943 and his Soldbuch has no photo of him. Therefore I hope for some opininons,
    whether there is a face that shows up several times ? Or whether it is likely that he is in one of the photos of group 1,
    because of the circumstances.

For the other photos, I just hope for any additional info on possible locations, or interesting details (if there are any).
    Many thanks in advance for any help/ideas !
    (And in general, I would like to know whether all photos are from that period.)

The first group of photos are the only ones, with some info written on the back.
    1.) I think the first one says : "Dein alter Schützenkumpel Heinz ..??.. Freiberg/Sachsen "
    (your old buddy soldier Heinz ... )

I assume there were many thousands of this kind of photos. Would it typically to be read :
    A photo of YOU presented by me (Heinz), or a photo of ME (Heinz) presented to you (Maximilian) ?
    Is it possible to make a statement ?

2.) The other photo in this group mentions an Uffz. Roth. I assume, Uffz. Roth is the soldier in the back ?!
    a) would it be likely that the soldier at the weapon is "my soldier" ?
    b) Is it possible to say, what kind of weapon that is ?
    c) It looks to me that this was on a ship ?! (But I do not understand this, as he was a Pz.Grenadier, later serving as Pz.Pionier)

Any idea what is shown here, would be appreciated .
    Attached Files

3.) Second group of photos (both have the same type of numbering, same photo paper, but I couldn't read it ..) :

3.a) I think the cemetary is at Tobruk, as I think I could identify one of the soldiers buried there.
    Any confirmation would be nice, also perhaps an idea, at which time this was taken ?!

3.b) Which location, which date ... who is the soldier .... (sorry for the poor joke ... )
    But perhaps it is possible to say, which kind of vehicle has to be dug out of the sand ?!

Attached Files

Comment

4.) Last group of photos (just for completeness) :

4.a.) Does any of the faces show up on the other photos (I am aware, that its almost impossible ...) ?

4.b.) Is it possible to identify/any idea on the port ?

If you notice anything interesting, regarding uniforms, equipment etc. feel free to comment.
      Any help appreciated, thanks in advance !

Best regards,

Archi
      Attached Files

Comment

Archi,
        The ship board AA mount looks to be a Czechoslovak 2 cm VKPL vz. 36, which was based on the Swiss Oerlikon. And I believe that the DAK soldier wearing the high boots and pullover is preparing a meal in a captured British mess tin half.
        Regards
        Bern

Comment

Hello Bern !

Many thanks for your very interesting info !
          Exactly what I was hoping for .

Thanks and best regards,

Archi

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X