Lets play the game: 'Who are these guys???'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets play the game: 'Who are these guys???'

Part of a larger photo. Who can guess what group these men belonged to?

I'll guess super-early NSDAP/SA members before they got a deal on brown shirts that were meant for Africa? They needed relief from the heat...

Comment

Originally posted by pauke View Post
      I'll guess super-early NSDAP/SA members before they got a deal on brown shirts that were meant for Africa? They needed relief from the heat...
      Good guess but there is a twist to this photo.....

Comment

Nobody else have a guess?

Comment

Odd that only one of them wears the eagle on his cap, and I'm wondering what the circular badge is on his chest. Despite the lack of all the usual insignia, I'm going to guess "Stahlhelm"-Bund just before it was transferred to the SA.

~ Mike

Comment

German Medical Corp... WW1

My guess would be the winged staff insignia (caduceus) of a medic in the first world war but it should be the winged staff of Asclepius for a medic - it is always misappropriated. Maybe the other soldiers had not been badged yet as they were in training... just a thought. Cheers.
            Last edited by Sol69; 06-03-2019, 07:37 PM.

Comment

I'll post the pic later today after I've cleaned it up a bit.

Some interesting guesses my friends

Comment

Well here it is. Was wearing a krätzchen common in the Stahlhelm? That does look like an NSDAP adler that is pointed out with the arrow to me. Any info including time period would be awesome. Thanks guys.

Comment

The full picture confirms Stahlhelm (lucky guess on my part), but the photo looks to be quite early (ca. 1924) to me- pre-dating the introduction of the Adler & Hakenkreuz device. I think it may indeed be a caduceus.

~ Mike

Comment

The full picture confirms Stahlhelm (lucky guess on my part), but the photo looks to be quite early (ca. 1924) to me- pre-dating the introduction of the Adler & Hakenkreuz device. I think it may indeed be a caduceus.

Odd that no one's wearing any awards.

~ Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Miller View Post

Odd that no one's wearing any awards.

~ Mike
                      Thanks Mike! A Caduceus(triangular bottom) has a different shape than the pin being worn by the man(round bottom).

Looks similar(to my untrained eye, I'm a photo guy lol) to this:

Last edited by BlackWatch1; 06-04-2019, 02:28 PM.

Comment

That's what I initially thought it was, and it may well be. But odd that he's only man wearing it. Eventually (1933), the helmet pin was indeed changed to that early style eagle/wreath/swastika pin.
                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stahlh...ormen_1934.jpg

~ Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Miller View Post
                          That's what I initially thought it was, and it may well be. But odd that he's only man wearing it. Eventually (1933), the helmet pin was indeed changed to that early style eagle/wreath/swastika pin.
                          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stahlh...ormen_1934.jpg

~ Mike
                          I'm not an expert like most guys on here when it comes to period uniforms, badges and so on. I just like photos. Thanks Mike for your help on this

Comment

See my given answer to this at another thread. I could have given an answer days earlier, but I waited
                            as for what others were thinking and telling.

Here I repeat:
                            Michael Miller is anyway wrong about the date (1924). This is NOT an early photograph.
                            It is practically sure all persons are at the labour service from the Stahlhelm-organization (Stahlhelm-Arbeitsdienst).
                            The photo is dated anyway later then early 1932 as in the middle a guy is already wearing the new form of collar-patches as introduced with order Bk/IIa 1625/32

I see members from the Jungstahlhelm as well as from the Wehrsport-Abteilung (oakleaf upon collar).
                            The close-up shows the use of the eagle lapel-pin, not even the somewhat larger eagle as used since September 1933.

The use of the Krätzchen was quite common in 1932 and 1933. Often they were delivered by Clemens Wagner from Braunschweig.

Comment

Thank you, Wim, for that very educational response and for setting me straight on the time frame of the photo.

Sincerely,
                              ~ Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X