Poster question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poster question

This poster is for sale on estand and I was looking in to it and realized the Windhund division wasn't formed till 1944. The poster claims he was part of that division and was MIA in 1943? You would think the mother who posted this would have mentioned his old division name if she was looking for him? I know this of course was probably made after 1943 but mentioning the Windhund division seems confusing to me. Does this show it maybe a fake? Maybe someone could clarify this for me.
    Attached Files

Hi,

the poster is 100% legit, i think that due to the change of name of the 16. Panzergrenadierdivision to the 116. Panzerdivision, the mother tried to find soldiers who survived the 16. Panzergrrenadierdivision (and therefore became part of the 116. Panzerdivision). Only those "survivors" may possibly give her info on her MIA son.

It is interesting because it may imply to me that the poster was made before the return of the German POW from the Soviet Union in the early 50's, aka from 1945 to early 1950's.

This is in my opinion quite logical to ask for potential members that went into the 116. Panzerdivision, than to ask for people from a division that will not ring a bell to them (16. Panzergrenadierdivision ceased to exist in late 1943).

If the poster was made after 1950's and the return of the POWs, the poster will probably include the real unit of this MIA soldier (the 16. Panzergrenadierdivision).

See You

Vince

Comment

Looks 100% legit to me too.

I must admit, these looking for loved ones posters pull on the heart strings.

Even more so than death cards which are at least confirmation that they have passed on. Not knowing what happened to a family member would be terrible.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X