No announcement yet.

Colorizing photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Rikhart, encouraging effort, I wouldn't worry about "Perfection" too much, the point about doing this is to produce an image that appeals to you, I've mentioned before practice and experimentation are the key, keep at it.

regards

Alex K

Comment

Thanks Alex. I'm still practicing. Faces always work out better than uniform because of some painting experience...camouflage is my next hurdle.

Comment

I thought I would give the above photo a try. A different take with less saturation and because they are on a balcony I have given them a light source from the front.

Cheers
        Larry
        Attached Files

Comment

Looks great Larry! I just recommend a bit of noise reduction on and around the uniforms.

Comment

Originally posted by Rikhart View Post
            Looks great Larry! I just recommend a bit of noise reduction on and around the uniforms.

Hi Larry good stuff

Alex K

Comment

Thanks for the Guys and I agree about the noise reduction.

Cheers
              Larry

Comment

You can use Photoshop or Photoshop express, probably the free 'Gimp' programme too. There are tutorials on the web that go through how to do it - it takes a while to do. I am not an expert on it (very far from it !!) but part of the job seems to be picking the right picture to begin with

Comment

photo shop limited edition is pretty inexpensive and can do more than most people ever need; also it's easier to learn than big'uns like CS and the successors thereof

so ok - really great thread. here's my 1st attempt; pic reproduced here w/gerardkenney's permission. ckik the link for the original. sorry about the tab piping :---- /

http://www.militaria-archive.com/stu...o54_large.html
                  Attached Files

Comment

I think you did a very good job, specially considering that started out as a passport sized picture

Not an expert on the piping but that looks ok to me - the eyes look normal too which is always a danger with colourising them.

Comment

Originally posted by GerardKenny View Post
                      I think you did a very good job, specially considering that started out as a passport sized picture

Not an expert on the piping but that looks ok to me - the eyes look normal too which is always a danger with colourising them.
                      thanks! I wanted to get some "modeling" and contrast in the face to simulate "3 dimensions" and not just one. many pix have that "flat" look as you know.. glad the raw material was a fine portrait of a regular guy. wonder if he survived...

Comment

Great images guys..

I had try myself for fun too...
                        Attached Files

Comment

vielen dank, steve. yours is terrific; I especially like the "camo" paint he's splashed on.

this image is has the raw feel of wartime. looks like a cold day - the soldier looks even paler than the typical german.

the cuff title looks like "ss-schule tolz" but he's not an officer candidate. was there an honor title in this name?

anyway, thanks for the fine post.

Comment

That is excellent work, nice understated colours add to the realism I think. The colour version looks like it's been restored to it's original glory.

Comment

THanks guys.. It was fun to do.. I shall have to look through my pictures to see if there is something else to have a go with.

Cufftitle detail..
                              Attached Files

Comment

One from me, Heydrich and Frank

regards
                                Alex

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/5...khfrancopy.jpg

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 45 users online. 0 members and 45 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X