Wehrmacht metalworkers manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wehrmacht metalworkers manual

I was at a local life line book fest and these 2 books caught my eye in a stack of engineering and metalworking books from the 1950s. Picked them up for $2 Each! From my limited conversational German I understand the first one is a manual for techniques, temperatures and procedures for working steel by hand printed in 1943. The second is a technical handbook for general metalworking procedures and engineering principles and concepts printed in 1942. They were both produced by the Dr. Goebbels fund, which encompassed a huge amount of different programs for educating Germany. The first one is in perfect condition, sadly the second ones spine was hanging by a thread when I bought it and has since come off.

Has anyone seen anything like these before? I know they are not highly desirable for most collectors but I haven't been able to find anything like these online, are they a special find? Does anyone have any information about where these would have been used. Military academy or university of some sort?
    The group of textbooks and manuals they were with were all named to Schmeichel, and the rest were post war, would have been wonderful if there was solid provenance to a engineering officer or Wehrmacht blacksmith!
    Either way I was super happy to save them and if anyone would like to see more detailed pictures feel free to ask.
    Comments and information greatly appreciated!

1st Book

2nd Book

Most likely you would find these types of books on German Ebay. Military & Civilian Engineers, Metalworkers would use these books at University, Military or Civilian training schools.

I had a friend of Mine who retired from the Army in Germany married to a German and worked in the German system as Master Metal worker. He had a virtual library of these types of books pre-war, wartime and post war. He use to restore Military vehicles, weapons and equipment for the Sinsheim Auto Technique Museum when Richard Eiermann was the curator for the Military part of the museum.

Possibly the former owner was a German immigrant (maybe former soldier) or an American of German heritage who had the ability to read German....your guess is as good as mine.

I might even have a few of these books myself in storage as I came across many interesting books on the building of the autobahns, Railways, Medical, Auto Mechanics, Models (Hitler youth) , photography, Woodworking...etc. Not to be confused with the Technical manuals and handbooks published specifically for all branches of the Wehrmacht. Which I have quite a collection of those in my Archives.

Comment

Here are few examples within arms reach.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the reply petz! Its always cool to see some other period books, sadly they never seem in high demand but still a great score to me. Fascinating to think of the story behind the collection this came from. I just hope Herr Schmeichel didnt have anything else from the period that got given to life line when he passed.....
        Very cool blacksmithing information in there, cool to have as a reference material

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X