Panzer man in captivity, May '45

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panzer man in captivity, May '45

Unusual uniform to be worn in captivity--I would assume panzer, but obviously not a wrapper, (looks like a fliegerbluse) and the tabs are non-standard.
    Thoughts?

LW-HG Officer Candidate?
    WH-Pz Pioneer?

Unusual in that he is wearing the TKs--most pics of Panzermanner in captivity show that they had removed the TKs prior to surrender.
    Attached Files
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

realy interesting photo ,no idea wich unit he was ,but for sure luftwaffe .

Comment

I could imagine it being made post-war but after returning home. All the fellows I knew were not in a studio photo situation as prisoners wearing a clean white shirt. Only a couple of post-war denazified uniform studio photos are known to me. The officer cap cord might be a sign of his being a high ranking NCO?

Comment

What is with the Cockade mounted half way up the visor?

Comment

It appears from his collar tabs that he identifies as a Panzer Pionier, which would almost certainly mean he was a HG vet.

Comment

That's my guess as well.
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

The de-nazification of uniforms occured post-surrender as ordered by the allies. In Norway at least the process started in june.
              Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

IMO the picture has been " photoshopped "period .
                The collar patches piping looks "painted" ?
                Nick

Comment

My take on this photo is that he was HG Panzer...not all TK's were removed prior to surrender. Standard Panzer tabs but someone applied dashes to make them into Pioneer tabs.

I posted a portrait of Panzerman portrait on my POW thread showing TK's on the lapels of a tropical tunic and still wearing his Panzer Badge at Camp Barkeley, Texas in 1944. I have also seen quite a few POWs still wearing their original insignia at various POW camps especially in Canada.

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
                  Unusual uniform to be worn in captivity--I would assume panzer, but obviously not a wrapper, (looks like a fliegerbluse) and the tabs are non-standard.
                  Thoughts?

LW-HG Officer Candidate?
                  WH-Pz Pioneer?

Unusual in that he is wearing the TKs--most pics of Panzermanner in captivity show that they had removed the TKs prior to surrender.

Comment

Originally posted by GAMS1 View Post
                    IMO the picture has been " photoshopped "period .
                    The collar patches piping looks "painted" ?
                    Nick
                    Not photo shopped. The texture of the collar tabs was sometimes different. Tabs demand close examination. The tabs are different texture than the boards.

I agree HG Panzer engineer.
                    Last edited by panzer1432; 05-04-2019, 10:34 PM. Reason: info

Comment

hmmm ... tabs appear to be black (SS type) but, with panzer skulls ...

twisted piped pre-war SS EM/NCO tabs? or regular SS tabs with pioneer piping?
                      Last edited by pep; 05-06-2019, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon O. View Post
                        The de-nazification of uniforms occured post-surrender as ordered by the allies. In Norway at least the process started in june.
                        I have POW picture of Afrikakorps guy in some paper grouping and he has all the nazi symbols and awards there! Different country, different manners.

Comment

Yeah, but when was the photo taken? The de-nazification process started after the end of the war
                          Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X